Cannot figure out part of pattern!

Hi! I’ve started working on a cap sleeve pullover. It’s crocheted from the top down in one piece, in the round. The first part is a basic yoke that forms the cap sleeve, with the rounds starting at the end of the yoke. Here is where I’m running into trouble:

Body
Rnd 1: Dc in first 19 sts, ch 13 for underarm, sk next 25 sts for cap sleeve, dc in next 38 sts, ch 13 for underarm, sk next 25 sts for cap sleeve, dc in last 19 sts. Join this and all rnds with a sl st in 3rd ch of ch-3.

Rnd 2: Ch 3, dc in first 6 sts, [yo, insert hook (from front to back) around post of st of rnd below, yo draw up a lp, (yo, draw through 2 lps on hook) twice – front raised dc made (frdc), yo, insert hook (from back to front around post of st of rnd below, yo, draw up a lp, (yo, draw through 2 lps on hook) twice – back raise dc made (brdc), frdc around next 4 sts, brdc around next st, frdc around next st], dc in next 11 sts, frdc around next 2 sts, dc in next 12 sts, frdc around next 2 sts, brdc around next 2 sts, *frdc around next 4 sts, brdc around next 2 sts, rep from * across 3 times, frdc around next 2 sts, dc in next 12 sts, frdc around next 2 sts, dc in next 11 sts. Join.

The first round of the body fits perfectly onto the previous row (the last row of the yoke). However, I’ve tried making round 2 a few times, and every time, I’ve ended up in a situation where I must frdc or brdc into the chain from the previous round, which does not make any sense to me. I’ve also added the stitches in each row, and round 2 seems to end up with 94 stitches compared to round 1’s 102, even though I don’t think there are any decreases.

Did I miss something, or does there seem to be some missing/incorrect info in this pattern (I have found a few minor typos so far)? Any help would be greatly appreciated!

*The pattern is from the following magazine: Family Circle Fashions & Crafts: 50 Great Sweaters To Knit And Crochet, Vol 9, No 6, 1983

Thanks for the name of the magazine. Does the pattern have a name or number?

Maybe @OffJumpsJack or @Snowfleas or @felicityjg can help?

1 Like

Thanks for the response :slight_smile: The magazine does not appear to have any pattern numbers for some reason, and the name is simply “cap sleeve pullover.” There is a photo and sketch of it on one page, and the reader basically has to just go find it based on description in the pattern section.

1 Like

Dear Dancing Dragon;
I went through the instructions and wrote down each stitch including the chain three as one stitch. I ended up with only 90 stitches, which is a difference of 12 stitches from the last row. I think it is to give the cap sleeve a bit of a ruffle. I am not sure. I wish I had the pattern to make up a sample…
My suggestion is to work a few rows and see if it starts to look right. Sometimes you can tell what the problem is once you get further along in the pattern.
I have made baby sweaters that are worked from the top down, and are open at the front. Once the body is finished is when you go back and work the rows around the underarm openings. It sounds like the openings on your pattern are larger than you would have if you were adding sleeves.
I am so sorry that I couldn’t be of more help.
Good luck with your pullover.
Vicki Henderson

1 Like

Hi,
Yes, that decrease in stitches baffles me; from the pictures, the yoke looks relatively flat around the shoulder (as does what I have so far). The ch13 that forms the underarms is the weirdest part, as the frdc/brdc seems impossible to insert into that. This pattern does not appear to have an actual sleeve, but the yoke itself forms a cap sleeve similar to a short capelet.
I would guess that only dc should go into the chain, but the count never results in that. I was starting to wonder if there’s supposed to be an extra round of dc after rnd1, but the photo doesn’t appear to have one. Perhaps there’s just a typo in rnd 2 somewhere that I need to figure out :sweat_smile:
I could also try to make a separate sample of rounds 2 and 3 on a simple dc base to see how those line up and if I could analyze it in reverse to see where something might be missing.

As far as the pattern and/or the photo, I wouldn’t mind posting more of it or sending it in a message since it doesn’t seem to be available online other than a few print copies. Are there policies regarding that on this forum?

Thank you for your response!

I am not sure how much of a pattern you are allowed to post. I know there are restrictions. I wish I could be of more help. My best advice is to try to continue as the pattern tells you and see if you can spot an error in the instructions. Let me know if
you figure it out. If not, I am sure we will think of some way of fixing it.

1 Like

I may have found the missing 8 sts. There is a left bracket just after the 6 dc. The right bracket is found 8 sts later. Maybe there should have been a “2” right after the right bracket. However, this makes the st count correct (102), but does not help with the following weird pattern sts that seem to require putting frdc’s and brdc’s into chain sts. This would be impossible, as you have noted. Also, in Rnd 1, I assume that you are beginning in the center back of the garment. That works out symmetrically. Rnd 2 isn’t symmetrical no matter how you look at it. I would recommend abandoning the rest of this screwed-up pattern. Starting with Rnd 2, you could work in stockinette st, seed st, basket st, or another favorite stitch pattern. Maybe you could go back to the original pattern to finish at the bottom if it looks good to you.

Please don’t ravel your beautiful yoke, whatever you do!

2 Likes

Hello! I realized yesterday that I completely missed part of round 2 that was pretty important (after the last dc11, there’s a repeat of what’s in the brackets until the last 6 stitches). That mostly solved the issue of number of stitches, but the underarm chains were still causing problems with the next row no matter what I did. I seem to have something that works now, though!. Here were my changes:

• I added a straight row of dc between rounds 1 and 2, so the frdc and brdc stitches from round 2 actually work.

• Instead of repeating the section between the *s 3 more times, as I originally thought based on the pattern, I repeated it 2x after the first one, creating a total of 3 cables in the front. This makes the front cables symmetrical and makes it so that I have two mostly symmetrical cables in the back instead of just one on one side.

At least the rest of the pattern until the ribbing at the end is just a repetition of rnd 2 and 3 (rnd3 is essentially worked even over rnd2, with the exception of doing a cable twist over the frdc4’s) so I think I’m set for now. Thanks for all the responses! :grin:

1 Like

So glad to hear that you have figured it out. Please be sure to let us know how it all turns out!