Can you suggest a good beginning lace knitting pattern?

I love the knitted lace, I’ve never done anything like it and I don’t want to take on more than I do and get frustrated and then quit.

Any suggestions for a good beginning pattern? I’m an experienced knitter although not expert. I mostly knit socks and booties for my grandbabies, the occasional sweater for them as well. Scarves, slippers, mittens etc.

thank you :slight_smile:

Faux Spanish Lace Shawl

This is a relatively simple lace pattern I have suggested to several people. It makes a triangular shawl.

Cast on 3. knit back.
All even rows are knit.

Setup Rows:

1. k1, YO, k1, YO, k1
  2. k1, YO, k3, YO, k1
  3. k3, YO, k1, YO, k3

This gives you three border stitches on either side which will always be knit.

1. k3, YO, knit until 3 stitches remain, YO, k3
  2. k3, YO, k1, YO,*S2kp; YO, k1, YO; repeat from * until 3 stitches remain, k3

repeat rows 7 through 10 until “large enough”. Knit 4 rows and bind off loosely.

oh wow…that is simple! :slight_smile: I’ll try this! thank you :slight_smile:

Sounds like a really easy pattern. What yarn would you suggest for a beginner?

I’d say make it easy on yourself - use the weight yarn and needles you are used to.

My preference would be for nothing heavier then a sock weight on 5mm or larger needles - but I like really open lace.

MMario

make it easy on yourself and use the weight yarn and needles you are most comfortable with.

I personally would not use anything heavier then a sock yarn and 5mm or larger needles - but I like very open lace.

MMario

sorry for the double entry - it wasn’t showing up and I thought I had forgotten to post .

just keep in mind some lace knitting tends to look like a mess until you block it out at the end

You might try a lovely scarf from Knitty: “Branching Out.” (If you google “knitty branching out” it will be close to the top.) It’s pretty easy and can be made in a variety of yarns…