Can you only do raglan sleeves for top down knitting?

Would love to hear and ‘pros and cons’ from those that have tried top down. Wondering when and why I should use this method??? :slight_smile:

That’s all I’ve done. :joy: I’ve mostly made baby sweaters, but a few adult ones.

Pro- It means you don’t have to sew on sleeves or seam anything for the most part. You can try them on with a larger circular needle or on waste yarn.

Con - The fit it’s structured and a little more casual like a seamed sweater and some people don’t like that. You can do some fitting though.

There is also bottom up which can have raglan sleeves.

Hi Jan, so I can only do raglan sleeves on top down? I just got Barbara Walter’s book on top down knitting delivered from Amazon today and it’s all raglan…not a bad thing just trying to figure out what this new world in the knitting universe is all about!

and my guess is the construction makes it more drape-y as well? that’s the impression I got from what I’ve read so far. I guess it’s fair to assume gravity works differently on bottom-up versus the inverse…

not “directly related” so to speak.

Oh no… there are also seamed in raglan sleeves. So seamed in, bottom up and top down. Top down is easiest IMO.

I think one of them I did was bottom up, but I’m not sure the fit was any different. You can adjust the fit by using short rows and increasing and decreasing. The sleeves tend to not be fitted though at the under arm. It doesn’t bother me, but some people don’t like it.

Hmm…I think I might have that book. Have to check.

I far prefer doing top-down as it’s easier to try on as you go and ensure you get things the right fit/length. Raglan is the easiest for pattern writers to figure out, but it’s not a flattering style on everyone, along with being kind of casual.

Barbara Walker has a method for set-in sleeves in her book on top-down knitting. It’s a pretty dense read, but covers everything you could ever want to know. It covers directions on how to do stuff rather than just providing patterns.

There’s also a method called contiguous, unvented by someone over at Ravelry. I’ve done two sweaters using it. The top-down group there also has a list of other books and websites on the topic.

1 Like