Can you explain this 2 needle CO and Join?

I found this TECHknitting guide for a Long Tail CO and jogless Join in the round but I am confused by the last couple steps, because this technique is supposed to weave in the tail as you knit but I am not sure when to start that. I wish the website gave this a proper name, because I can’t find Youtube videos because I don’t know what to call this technique aside from 3in1 Long Tail Cast-On.

[B]Where I am having trouble is Step 4 of the article. [/B]I have the correct stitches, I pulled the second needle out, and I can slip the first Simple Loop stitch to the right needle and start knitting… But this is where I am unclear on what to do.

This technique specifically talks about weaving the tail in as you knit, that way you don’t have to weave it in later, and it makes for a more secure and invisible jog so I am not sure if I should knit with the tail for the first row, or only 3 stitches at the start of the second row.

My questions are:

1. Do I knit the first row with my working yarn, or the tail end of my yarn (and then on the next row K2together with both working and tail yarn before going on with just working yarn).
  2. Should I count that row as the first in my pattern? (My pattern begins with a K row, so do I include the first row where I am knitting into the loose CO stitches?)
  3. If I did NOT knit the first row with the tail, does that mean I knit the row with the working yarn and at the start of the second round I should just pick up the tail yarn for the first three stitches of the second round?

Looks like a very handy link. I haven’t tried this method.
Slip the first stitch of the round and knit the rest of the first round with your working yarn, that is, the yarn coming off the ball. At the end of the round, k2tog (the last stitch of the round and that first slipped stitch). This is round one of your pattern. If you pattern is in rib, then I’d say, rib the first round. Slip the next stitch and then catch the tail of yarn and hold it [I]together[/I] with the working yarn. Knit 3sts with the doubled yarn, then drop the tail and continue on with only the working yarn. This is the only time you need to work with the yarn tail.
I’d say that yes, I’m nervous about cutting the yarn tail here or even after washing. I prefer the weave it in per usual or carry it for several more sts as you would carry a float.

Why use two needles for the cast on? Shouldn’t the same method work if the entire cast on is on one needle? I don’t do the double needle cast on so if I try this I won’t use the double needles I think.

The first 6 rounds of my pattern is Garter Stitch. So, I do the CO, slip the first stitch and then K the round. At the end of the round K2Tog with the last stitch and the slipped stitch. Place Marker…

At this point, it says to slip the second CO stitch and then K3 with Working and Tail yarn. However, if the first knitted row does count as the first round of my pattern then I should be following that first round with a round of Purl.

So, which do I count as my first round? If that first knitted row should count as Row 1 of my Garter, does that mean that when I get to the point of knitting those 3 stitches with both yarn strands should I K the way the guide says I should, or can I Purl those 3 stitches rather than K and consider that two rounds into my pattern?

Purl that next round including the 3sts purled with both yarns. That’s round 2 which when completed will give you a garter ridge. The article doesn’t take pattern into account or else it uses “knit” in the sense of work, either knit or purl.

Oh good, thanks for clearing that up. If I do a Long Tail CO should I always Knit that first row? Could you Purl it instead or does it have to be Knit?

Are there situations where you should not count that first K round as part of the pattern?

I hate cutting the tail when I finish knitting, I usually use the Invisible Join method but even when I weave in the ends with a needle it never feels secure or tight and I am sure my first few projects would not be very durable, but I have to say that this method of joining was pretty amazing. I did use 2 needles for the CO and even though they were loose stitches they seemed to arrange themselves quite nicely as I knitted into them and now everything looks pretty amazing. I think that the benefit is in the first and last 3 sts that are at the beginning and end which were CO one needle, while the others are loose because they were knitted over 2 needles. Once you join and knit that first round the difference between those 6 1-needle stitches and the 2-needle stitches line everything up because the 6 smaller stitches pull it all together and it keeps the rows from looking crooked.

So here is what I did with the tail. On the second round it said to work 3 stitches with both strands of yarn, but because that was a Purl row for me I ended up with the tail resting at the front of my work. So, when I began Round 3 the first 3 stitches were the doubled yarn where I Purled the three stitches together and in Round 3 I knitted normally into those first three doubled loops, bringing me to where the tail was hanging at the front of the work.

I picked up the tail and brought it to the back of my work and from there I worked 3 more stitches Knit-wise and ended with the yarn tail in the back (or the centre of the circle) with both strands so the tail was worked further into the work.

So in Round 2 stitches 1/2/3 were Purled with both yarn strands, and then in Round 3 I knitted past those stitches and Knitted stitches 4/5/6 with both strands. I hope that makes sense.

So far as I can tell right now it looks flawless, and since the tail was resting 3 stitches into the round I did not have to double up on the double-strand stitches (That would create visual thickness at the beginning, I think). I am hoping that I did the right thing there. The yarn is now hanging in the centre of my circular needles rather than facing outwards and coming out Purl-wise.

I just wanted to try this because I had a hunch it would help hide the tail without bulking up those first three stitches. I am just going to work a few more rounds and hope that it won’t be noticeable and that it will be secure enough that it won’t unravel or create a visible bulge.

Hopefully I described this well enough. I tried to take a picture but it is Cascade Eco Duo and has a bit of a halo, hard to get a good shot. Did I do the right thing? Do I want the tail to be hanging on the inside of the circle?

That sound like a great way to deal with the tail. I bet it does not come undone. Good thinking.

Thanks for reporting back. Good to know that it worked for you.
You don’t have to knit the first round after longtail cast on. It can be purl sts or rib or whatever pattern you wish. A row more or less isn’t likely to change your pattern either. Some people call the longtail cast on itself row 1 but a row here or there usually won’t affect your pattern.