Can you carry on knitting needles when you fly?

I travel alot and never had issue with my knitting needles…(bamboo, options, addi turbo, i owed most brands… i bought my whole army of needles and accessories instead of bringing scissors…i bought nail clipper or floss (dental floss) cuter …hope this helps

I just flew to Shanghai, China end of October… it was for work so fortunately was in business class. One of the flight attendents even loaned me her Vogue knitting magazine after she saw me knitting … which is where I found out about Caps to the Capital … see the KAL section.

But back to the topic of the post, I was fine with my small Fiskars on American Airlines which allows scissors less than 4" per the website, but when my carry-on was rescreened in Japan, they were confiscated. Clover has a round medallion-style yarn cutter I would recommend traveling with rather than scissors.

I wouldn’t recommend - I’ve read of the clover neck thing being confiscated because it has razor type blades inside and can be taken apart fairly easily. The best tip I read for cutting yarn on board a flight is to carry an empty dental floss box and use the little cutting mechanism from that instead.

you do not want to do that, here’s what the TSA says:

Most of the items needed to pursue a Needlepoint project are permitted in your carry-on baggage or checked baggage [color=red]with the exception of circular thread cutters or any cutter with a blade contained inside[/color]. These items cannot be taken through a security checkpoint. They must go in your checked baggage.

like mulene said, just bring a dental floss cutter

[quote=“mulene”]

I wouldn’t recommend - I’ve read of the clover neck thing being confiscated because it has razor type blades inside and can be taken apart fairly easily. The best tip I read for cutting yarn on board a flight is to carry an empty dental floss box and use the little cutting mechanism from that instead.[/quote]

yup they would take the clover neck cutter… i use dental floss or nail clipper

I found this information on the TSA website. Circular Needles have a limit length, no metal needles or circular metal cutters. Bring an envelope just in case you have to mail it home.

got back from maldives and singapore via thru japan…conclusion is that i went thru with my addi-turbo needles and options…clover bamboo and they did not confiscate my needles …i wonder it depend on the security guards there or what …it seem that every security check point is different in their searching theory :shrug:

Problem w/ envelope to mail back… very few places have mail boxes close to screeners. I follow the rules & carry a copy of the FAA’s list. I pack extra stuff in checked suitcase, and my denise’s on board. I’ve flown into Reagan, Dullas, Baltimore. No probs, San Diego is same…

I flew overseas this summer (out of Dullas Airport (DC)) and didn’t have a problem. The advice I was given was to use wooden needles (I guess they’re not as scary as metal ones) and to bring along a self addressed stamped envelope so that if they do take them away, you can send your work home. Have a great trip!

i just flew from philadelphia to dallas (and back). i had no problem taking my circular bamboos and cutter pendant.

i just got back from a business trip to the philippines.
i was able to take two projects there (started with American Airlines and transferred to Philippine Airlines). one was with size 15 bamboo needles. the other was size 7 metal circulars. my carry on was searched but everything was fine.

upon arriving at the airport in the philippines for the flight home i only brought along my size 7 project and it was confiscated. their reason being that the needles were considered pointed objects (?) and that the yarn was considered a rope. both of which are not allowed.
my baggage was checked in and i had no friends waiting outside the airport to pass my project on to so i left it.

in hindsight, i suppose i could’ve argued that the sharpened pencil in my carry on had more stab power than the blunt needles. and i could’ve demonstrated that the cashmere-blend yarn i was using breaks easily with a slight tug and explained that my shoelaces are more rope-like than the yarn could ever be.
i guess i was too flustered to think of any of this. when i got onto the plane i finally realized that i could’ve transferred the project onto a pen or a life line and just ditched the needles and the ball of yarn. o_O

Awww. I’m sorry they stole your stuff!!! I flew domesticly yesterday and was fine. They gave my fiance crap about some glasses cleaner that he forgot was in his bag. It was less than 3oz, but he hadn’t put it in an extra plastic bag. That rule is so dumb.