Can this be shortened?

Hi out there,

I am very new at this “blogging” stuff…but I have a problem I thought maybe someone out there might be able to help me with.

I just completed a sweater that was knitted in the round with circular needles from the bottom up. Now that I am finished…I think it is too long. Since it was started at the bottom, is there any way I can undo the cast on stitches and unravel some rows and then bind it off again…or something like that??

I would sure appreciate any suggestions. Thanks so much.

Hi, and welcome, though this isn’t a blog but a web forum. They’re a bit different.

As for your sweater, yes, you can. Cut off the CO or cut one stitch and pick it out. Unravel carefully to where you want it and bind off. You may find that it’s a stitch less than you started with, don’t worry about losing one, that’s what happens when you go the other direction.

Wow! Thanks so much! I thought I was going to have to start all over. You don’t know how much I appreciate your help.
I told you I was very new at this…don’t even know the difference between a blog and a forum…duh.
You are a life saver…well, at least a sweater saver!

ms bell

If you really love the bottom of your sweater and dont’ want to re-knit it (like if it’s got a lace pattern in it or something) you can always try to cut out the middle rows and graft the two pieces back together like Grumperina did here: http://www.grumperina.com/knitblog/archives/2005/09/operation_orang.htm

There’s a video on this site that shows how to insert your needles into a destination row before unraveling the work. If it were me, I would put my needles in first, so I wouldn’t worry about dropping stitches or messing up. You could just unravel like crazy!

Thanks! I will definitely do that…I was worried about all those loose stitches and almost afraid to attempt they unravel…now you have solved my problem. Just one more thing…I don’t know how to find my way around this site very well, but I will try to find the video…wish me luck!
Really, thank you so much!

My sweater is just K2 P2 all the way up, but thanks for the thought.

Some of the tabs at the top of this page are the videos: basic techniques, getting started. advanced techniques. Just click on the tab. Good luck.

thanks for all your help with this. I found the video…now I am having trouble staying on the right row when inserting the needle. It is tight and done on a size 6 circular. Any ideas how to keep inserting on the right row? When I switch from the K to the P, I think is where I am getting lost.