Can someone please help me with this sweater pattern?

Okay so I’m a beginner and working on just basic stitches. For the past month and a half I’ve been making scarves, fun but I was ready to move on so I decided to make a sweater. I found a hooded sweater and it says for beginner, sounds good right? So anyhow, I do the back but now I’m at the shoulder part and am completely confused (and I’mm sure this won’t be the first time) So if anyone can please help me figure this part out I’ll be so grateful…Here goes… In bold

With smaller needles, cast on 33 (37, 40; 43, 47, 51, 57, 60, 65) sts. Work in St st for 4 (4, 4; 6, 6, 6, 6, 6, 6) rows. Work in k 1, p 1 rib for 4 (4, 4; 6, 6, 6, 6, 6, 6) rows. Change to larger needles. Work in St st until piece meas 16 1/2 (17 1/2, 18 1/2; 24, 25 1/2, 27, 27 1/2, 29, 30 1/2)" from beg or desired length. Place 11 (12, 13; 14, 15, 16, 18, 19, 21) sts on each shoulder sts on spare needles or holders, bind off center 11 (13, 14; 15, 17, 19, 21, 22, 23) sts for Back neck

:?? I really don’t get this at all. Does this mean on the piece I just did to 16 1/2 in, do 11 St st on each side of the piece and then I bind off? That’s all I getting here and probably am totally wrong. I’m really not geting this bind off center thing and do I just leave the rest of the stitches in the middle alone untill it’s time for the hood cause thinking about it that makes sense.

Okay as you all can see I am totally like huh? lol. What did I get myself into but anyhow any help is apreciated. Thank you! :slight_smile:

Sydney :heart:

Knit until your piece is 16 1/2" long. On the next row, knit 11 stitches, and place them on a holder of some sort (those are one shoulder’s sts).

Bind off the next 11, counting as you pass the sts over. That will be the back of the neck.

THere will probably be 11 sts left over, which you will work however the pattern tells you to!

First off thank you so much!!!

Okay that clears up the whole center thing that was freaking me out but the last few stitches is still confusing me. Because that would only make one shoulder right? So what happens with the other shoulder… Maybe the next part of the pattern would fix that but of course I’m once again confused and would really apreciate some simplification of it all. I think I’ll have it from after here…I hope so anyway…lol. Here’s the second part of it all.

Work same as Back until piece meas 14 1/2 (15 1/2, 16 1/2; 22, 23 1/2, 25, 25 1/2, 27, 28 1/2)" from beg, ending with a WS row. Shape neck: Next row (RS): K 14 (15, 16; 17, 18, 19, 21, 22, 24) sts, join a 2nd ball of yarn and loosely bind off center 5 (7, 8; 9, 11, 13, 15, 16, 17) sts, k 14 (15, 16; 17, 18, 19, 21, 22, 24) sts. Working both sides at the same time with separate balls of yarn, bind off 2 sts at each neck edge once, then dec 1 st at each neck edge on next RS row. Work even until same length as Back to shoulder. Place rem 11 (12, 13; 14, 15, 16, 18, 19, 21) sts on each shoulder on spare needles or holders. Join shoulders with 3-needle bind off.

In the bold is where I’m like huh again. I’ll really apreciate if you could explain it all. I know how to do the 3 needle bind off thanks to this site and their videos. How I would get there is confusing so any help is so much appreciated. Thanks again :slight_smile:

Sydney :heart:

On this part you’re shaping the neck edge by decreasing on each side of it.

Work across the first 14 stitches, bind of 5, and work across the remaining stitches. At this point you will be working each side separately, so you’ll have to attach a ball of yarn to the first side that you worked.

They want you to bind of 2 stitches at each neck edge. This has to be done at the neck edge each time since you can’t bind off at the end of a row.

Then decrease one stitch at each neck edge on the next right side row.

continue straight until the front and back are the same length to the shoulder.