Can someone please explain DPNs?

I’m making legwarmers and I tried starting on DPNs but after going from one needle to the other I didn’t really understand how to do it and so I switched to my circular needle. Well I decided to decrease and now it’s become uncomfortable so I want to switch, but I don’t really understand how it works. I have 42 stitches to work with. What I don’t undertand is if I divide them over 3 needles then when I knit them they end up on the other needle how do they goet back onto the needle that they just came off? I’m probably missing something. TIA:cool:

You would put 14 stitches on each of the 3 needles. Then take your 4th needle and start knitting. This will transfer your new stitches onto that 4th needle, leaving you with an empty needle. Take that empty needle and start knitting again. So you will always have 3 dpn with stitches on and one working dpn.

You can just knit 14 sts using one of the needles, then the next 14 onto a 2nd needle, and the last set of sts onto the 3rd needle. You don’t need to transfer them, you’re all set.

Ok but I use a fourth needle. That was what I wasn’t doing before. So I always use and empty needle. Now I think I get it. Thanks

Right, knit the sts onto 3 needles, then the 4th needle will be for knitting with after that.