Can someone convince me

that I am eventually going to get better? Man, I am sooo bad at this right now…crooked, too tight stitches. I know practice makes perfect, but I feel like I’m not getting the least bit better.

Any words of advice or encouragement would be SO appreciated…

Good lord!! Our Kelly started to knit in January of this year. Have you seen her stuff? So many of our knitters came here to learn, and now the work that’s posted here is phenomenal! Does anyone learn to play the piano in one week? Learn anything, really?

The more you knit, the better you’ll get. Just keep on and on and on and on, and you’ll develop even stitches and tension. In fact, put away something that you knit now. Just for a couple of months. Then pull it out. If you’ve stuck with knitting, you’ll be laughingly amazed!

You WILL get more comfortable with it, trust me! Just keep practicing and suddenly it will all just come together! And then you’ll wonder why you thought it was so hard :thumbsup:

Your fingers need to learn what to do just like they did when you learned to write.

You got better at writing, right? :slight_smile:

Knitting is like riding a bike. Your stitches may fall off, you make scream and curse a lot, and you may even hurt yourself a little. But eventually you’ll be able to do it without even thinking!

Thanks!! :slight_smile: I just needed to hear that I wasn’t the only one who had a slow start

:XX:

Lesley- I CRIED the first night I tried to learn to knit!! Now, although I wouldn’t venture so far as to say I am “good”- I have come a long ways from then, and I’ve been knitting for about 3-4 months. It will get easier the more you do it. Keep trying!! :cheering:

So true. It took me months of starting then stopping when the frustration got to me. I tried so many times and gave up. :shock:

I can honestly say that this site has been the best thing I stumbled upon. I picked it up after watching these videos over and over and over while I practiced. :happydance: :happydance: :happydance:

I used to have to think to myself, "loosen up your shoulders, this should be relaxing!" over and over to myself. :doh:

Now, of course, I have come to love knitting and have started my stash of needles and needles and needles…etc! :rofling: :rofling:

Keep at it and remember to keep those first swatches and projects. It’s so funny to go back and see how much you have improved. :thumbsup:

:XX:

You will get better TRUST ME ON THIS ONE…

I just started knitting in October 2004 and I’ve seen a dramatic improvement in a little more than a year.

I knitted all the pieces to a stuffed monkey for my 5 year old daughter shortly after I learned to knit. She’s been begging me to finish it, so I picked up the pieces and had to force myself to work with them. I saw too tight cast ons and bind offs, changes in tension…it was horrid. I finished it anyway, and she loves it. I’ll just try to hide it when company comes over–it would ruin my reputation. :rofling:

Quick! Someone’s at the door! HIDE THE MONKEY! :roflhard:

Awww I did too…
I think it’s so neat when people cry when they want to. :slight_smile:

I’ll get there right along with you. I’m exactly where you are now. In a few months we’ll look back at these posts and laugh. Keep going! We’ll get there! :XX:

Quick! Someone’s at the door! HIDE THE MONKEY! Rolling On Floor Laughing Hard

Seriously, that’s how it is. I said to her over the weekend, “Now, Francesca, there’s no need to show Auntie and Uncle your monkey.”

:roflhard:

Anna

you will be fine. just stick with it. all great advice in the posts before me.
I started in Dec '04. I threw my needles down a few times, swore at the cat just for walking in the room a few times (sorry kitty :(), and almost gave up many times. it took me 4 months to do a purl stitch, I just COULDN’T get the hang of it. now I love knitting it so much I can’t go a day without a few stitches and am knitting for everyone on our Christmas list. I saved my very first piece, a garter stitch scarf made with Lion Homespun that’s uneven and tangled and knotted and varies in width from 3" to 7" (unintentional) just to remind myself that I can improve at stuff if I stick to it.

Oh geez Ingrid… :rollseyes: You know damn well with this group where a statement like that can be taken…

:shock: :roflhard:

Oh geez Ingrid… :rollseyes: You know damn well with this group where a statement like that can be taken…

:shock: :roflhard:[/quote]

Do you actually think I didn’t think of that!!! :roflhard:

From what I’ve figured out, knitting has nothing to do with talent and everything to do with patience.

I learned to knit back in February because I was too sick to do homework, and I ended up making this hideous lop-sided potholder that I gave to my mother (she keeps it in the back of a drawer). And now I just finished my first sock!

So stick with it. Your fingers need to learn how to do it - it’s all about muscle memory. You will get better!

Do you actually think I didn’t think of that!!! :roflhard:[/quote]

Oh… I suspected that’s exactly why you said it.

So… do we need to find a banana for the hidden monkey?

Ingrid… just for you…

It’s sorta work safe…

http://www.funfilesandsmiles.com/pictures/monkeysboogers.htm

:shock: :roflhard:

Do you actually think I didn’t think of that!!! :roflhard:[/quote]

Oh… I suspected that’s exactly why you said it.

So… do we need to find a banana for the hidden monkey?[/quote]

oy you two…and then it was compounded with…

Seriously, that’s how it is. I said to her over the weekend, “Now, Francesca, there’s no need to show Auntie and Uncle your monkey.”

you people are just naughty!..lol. we sure are a dirty bunch for a buncha little ol’ ladies in rocking chairs aren’t we? :wink: