Can I Knit Plain Instead Of Pattern

I have a pattern for a fitted cardigan/jacket. The item is actually knitted throughout using the following pattern and uses approx 20oz of double knitting wool:

TEXTURE PAT: Row 1 (RS): Knit. Rows 2, 4, 6: Purl.
Row 3: K3, * MK, K3; rep from * across. Row 5: Knit.
Row 7: MK, * K3, MK; rep from * across. Row 8: Purl.
Rep Rows 1-8 for Texture Pat.

Can I just follow the pattern using stocking stitch throughout and if so would it use more or less wool?

It’s your sweater, you can do anything you want…

I agree with LizzieK8 I would add that you should recheck your gauge without the pattern.

Agreed. You can do whatever you want to do with YOUR sweater. I would echo the comments here that you’re going to want to check your gauge. Knitting in stockinette might end up changing the gauge which is going to change the fit of the sweater. So if there is pattern before and after this part of the sweater you may end up with an area that pulls in and is tighter at this spot than it is in the rest of the sweater.

It will probably take a little less. I’m thinking the ‘MK’ stands for Make Knot where you knit sts together, then inc in the same sts, so that would use a little more yarn than just knitting those sts plain. It should turn out fine, but check your gauge as you get several sts into it to make sure the st number you cast on will fit you. You could start with a sleeve and do about 4-6" of that as a gauge swatch.