Can I ask a stupid question about stitch markers?

I really don’t get what they’re for. I get that it’s to mark a place in your knitting but the ones that are a solid ring I don’t get.

You put it on the needle while knitting? Then how do you take it out when you need to if it’s a solid ring?

:oops:

you move them from your left needle to your right when you come upon them in your knitting. they dont’ stay in your knitting unless you are using the clip like ones to maybe mark the right side or something like that. otherwise they just keep moving with you and when you are done, you drop them off.

i usually just use a piece of waste yarn for markers.

Okayyy, so if you need to start cabling at a certain stitch for example, you mark it and then when you get there you remove it? Am I getting it?

Sort of. You probably wouldn’t remove it until after the cable pattern or the entire project is completed.

They’re also helpful for marking the beginning when knitting in the round. :slight_smile:

See, that’s my question. If you don’t remove it until the end, then how do you remove it if it’s a solid ring?

See, that’s my question. If you don’t remove it until the end, then how do you remove it if it’s a solid ring?

I think the markers you are talking about go on the needle. Not on the yarn. So they are never actually physically attached to your project. So when you’re done and you take your work off the needles, the markers are on the needle, not your yarn.

Right, so the ones that are solid you take off once you get the stitch you need to work on. The ones that stay in the yarn are the clip ones.

Right, so the ones that are solid you take off once you get the stitch you need to work on. The ones that stay in the yarn are the clip ones.

hard to explain but the solid ones stay on the needles so you slip it from one needle to the other - it doesnt interfere with the work at all it just sits between the stitches on the needles

If it’s a solid round circle you just slip it from one needle to the other and it moves up your work with you. It sits between the stitches. That makes it easy to know where to start a certain part of the pattern like a cable.

I’d stay away from split rings if you can. They stick your hands and catch in the yarn. I know from experience. :rollseyes:

When you are knitting in the round, it marks the beginning of each “row”. So you place the marker, knit around and then slip it from the left needle to the right when you come to it. You just slip it every time and that way you can keep track of the beginning and the end.

If you are making a pattern that has complicated repeats, then you can place a marker after every repeat and this reminds you where you are in the pattern. If you make a mistake, you can count back the stitches to figure out what happened.

Clear? :thumbsup:

Wends, thank you so much for asking this. I have always wondered about this, too. Now I get it!!

Thanks for all the clear explanations!!

:thinking: Hi Wends and Isaiah 507

You’re not asking stupid questions Wends. I’ve always thought that with knitting there was something ‘missing’ - why should knitters have to keep count while they’re knitting - why can’t pattern changes be marked first before you maybe make a mistake and have to unravel.

In fact, I got so fed up that I came up with my own solution - it’s a knitting hook that you place on the LEFT NEEDLE - mark out knits, purls, increases, decreases, (great for lace) whole pattern widths, button bands.

It’s called www.countonknit.com and if you and Isaiah would like to contact me, I’ll send you both a complimentary set of hooks.

Best Wishes
Limey