Can anyone Help with St. John's Wort Stitch Pattern

Well, I started this hat but couldn’t get very far. It’s the Bee Warm Hat http://www.ravelry.com/patterns/library/bee-warm-hat

pattern:
Rd 1: (sl 1, k2 psso k2) k3
rd 2: k1, yo, k4
rd 3: k3, (sl 1, k2 psso k2)
rd 4: k4, yo, k1

Note: The yarn overs in the even rows are centered above the two knit stitches in the (sl1, k2 psso) in the previous odd rows.

I knitted to rd 2 but nothing lining up looking like the pattern.
I pass the sl 1 over the k2 stitches. Is this correct?

Can anyone help?

Thank you in advance. ~ Quik

It may be that you have to keep going in order to see the pattern emerge. Make sure that when you do the yarn over, you’re not using a stitch. Bring the yarn forward between the needles and over the right hand needle.

I’m sorry to say I couldn’t even end the Round 1 with correct stitches. Sl 1, k2, psso, k2 then only 1 stitch left to the end and not 3 stitches. I do have 96 stitches to start with so I don’t know what I am doing wrong.

It should be a 6 stitch repeat: sl 1, k2 psso the k2, k3.

Slip 1, k2, pass slip stitch over the k2, k3

Mark off every 6sts if you need to so that you can stay on track for the first round. You shouldn’t have any sts left at the end of the row.

Salmonmac, you forgot the extra K2 in there!! And I thought only the part inside the () gets repeated?!?

Round 1: (sl1, K2 psso K2) K3

I interpret that as “slip 1 st, Knit 2, pass slip st over, Knit 2” repeat that over and over. Then Knit the last 3 sts.

That would be a 5 st repeat. With K3 at the end.

Or is it something else??
Knitcindy

In trying to be very explicit about where to do the psso, the stitch pattern is confusing. What they are saying is to pass the slipped stitch over the knit 2, not to put in an extra k2. The fact that this section is in parentheses adds to confusion because it ordinarily would be a repeat, but in this case, it’s not.

Here’s a link to a couple of ways to do it (knit flat so see row 1).

http://www.knittingfool.com/StitchIndex/StitchDetail.aspx?StitchID=257
There may or may not be edge sts outside the repeat.

Ok ignore what I said in my earlier post. When I read the original pattern, it IS a 6 st repeat.

Slip 1, Knit 2, psso the K2, Knit 3. Repeat that around.

But I still want to know about the (). That’s the part that confused me. I thought instructions inside them get repeated. Why didn’t they put them around the whole thing??

Knitcindy

Thanks for clearing that up!! I would’ve messed this one up too!! Glad you straightened me out!!!

Knitcindy

Well, many thanks to you for checking up and for working through the stitch.

Knitcindy,

Thanks. I though I was going crazy. I interpreted exactly as you did so I wasn’t able to get it right.

~ Quik

Thank you very much Salmonmac for clearing this out for me. I knitted the pattern as you explained it and it worked out. Now I can go ahead and finish this hat supposed to be 3 days ago.

~ Quik