Can anyone help me understand my pattern? Debbie Bliss Cabled Beret

Hello,
I’m currently knitting Debbie Bliss’ Cabled moss stitch beret. I’m new to cabling and have reached a part of my pattern I don’t understand. Could a more experienced knitter help me understand what I have to do next?

I’m just starting to shape the hat and the pattern says -

[B]Inc row[/B] Moss st 6, m1,k4,m1,*moss st 11, m1,k4,m1; rep from * to last 6 sts, moss st 6. 137 sts.
[B]Next row[/B] Moss st 7, p4,*moss st 13, p4; rep from * to last 7 sts, moss st7.
[B]Next row[/B] Moss st 7, CB4,*moss st 13, CB4; rep from * to last 7 sts, moss st7.
[B]Next row[/B] Moss st 7, p4,*moss st 13, p4; rep from * to last 7 sts, moss st7

Then Debbie Bliss says (and this is the bit I don’t understand) :

The last 4 rows shows the inc sts on one right side row and the cable crosses on the foll right side row, keeping the moss st and cable sts correct as set and taking inc set into moss st, cont to inc 1 stitch at each side of every 4-st cable on [B]3 following 4th rows[/B] until the foll row has been worked :

[B]Inc row[/B] (Right side) Moss st 9, m1, k4, m1,*moss st 17, m1,k4,m1; rep from * to last 9 sts, moss st 9. 185 sts.

I first thought that I should repeat the last 4 rows set out above, with an increase row, a pearl row, a cable cross row and a pearl row each time but if I do this I reach the row with 17 moss stitches too early. I reach it on the 3rd increasing row not the 4th row.

Obviously I’ve not understood. Can anyone cast any light on the matter for me? Thank you!

You’ve got it right. I see the same thing. Once you’ve worked the Inc row:
Inc row (Right side) Moss st 9, m1, k4, m1,*moss st 17, m1,k4,m1; rep from * to last 9 sts, moss st 9.
you’ll have 185 sts. Then you should be able to go on to the next direction. Maybe the designer is thinking that this last row is the 4th increase row?

I saw a correction on this page but not sure it’s the correct pattern and it’s not in the area of these rows.
http://debbieblissmagazine.com/corrections?issue=1

Thanks very much Salmonmac :slight_smile: ! I think I’ll just go with my (our) instincts on this one.

I don’t think the correction you found does apply to my pattern as there are no numbered rows and my beret is for a child.

However, I did have to start again when I found a correction on the Debbie Bliss website…but this was for an earlier part of the pattern which comes from a book called ‘The Knitter’s Year’. I’ll post it here in case anybody else is having trouble or hasn’t spotted the errata.

Cabled Moss Stitch Beret
page 95

The increase row after the first 4 moss st rows should end…to last 8 sts, p2, pfb, p2, k1, pkp, k1. 121 sts.

This knitting forum is so helpful!

Thanks again.