Calculationg stitches

Hi- I am relatively new to knitting. I have an old pattern that says it is worked on in multiples of 18 stitches and the pattern is created over 4 rows. I want to make a small blanket 24x36 inches or 36x36 inches but cannot figure out how to calculate the number of stitches to cast on if I am using a 5mm or 6mm needle.
Thank you in advance for your assistance.

What is the original number of stitches to cast on??

Knitcindy

There is not one given. Only the info on how to create the pattern over 4 rows. I suppose it is so that you can make any size you want but math is not my strong suit.

18 stitches isn’t going to be very wide.
Knit a swatch! Your gauge is going to be different from anyone else’s. I would make it 18 x 2 =36 And then measure that then divide that length into the total length you want and then multiply that answer by 36 and you will have number of stitches required to get a blanket the size you want. At least pretty close and if in wool you can block it.
The following is a math example
Warning your 36 stitches length will have to be plugged into the equation instead of my random 4 inches!!!
So say you knit 36 stitches and it is four inches
4 inches goes into 36 inches = 9
9 times 36 stitches = 324 stitches
324 divided by 18 is 18 so you have to repeat this pattern 18 time or cast on 324 stitches
If you need help once you have knit a swatch I can do the math for you.