Cables

I have been able to do cables in the past, but this chart has got me stumped. I am reading it left to right. Anyone know what I am doing wrong?

You read the odd numbered rows R to L, but only the even ones L to R if you’re working it flat. If you’re working in the round, read all of the R to L. You start the rows on the same edge the numbers are on.

Thanks, I will give it a try!

Charts always show the work from the right side. So everywhere you have a blank box you want a knit stitch on the outside of the work. If the box has a - in it you want a purl stitch on the outside. You read the charts as Sue said, odd rows right to left if it is flat, even rows left to right if it flat and the same as the odd rows if it is in the round.

Those chart symbols look almost identical to the ones used in Vogue Magazine. You must have a key somewhere, but if not here are the instructions that apply to this chart for the cable crosses.

3 St RPC= Slip the next st to cable needle (cn) and hold to the back, k2, p1 from cn.

3 St LPC= Slip next 2 sts to cn and hold to front, p1, k2 from cn.

4 St RC= Slip 2 sts to cn and hold to the back, k2, k2 from cn.

4 St LC= Slip 2 sts to cn and hold to the front, k2, k2 from cn.

Here is how you work the first rows if it is flat.
Row 1: P, k, p, 4 St LC, p, k, p.
Row 2: K, p, k, p4, k, p, k.
Row 3: K, p, 3 St RPC, 3St LPC, p, k.
Row 4: P, k, p2, k2, p2, k, p.
Row 5: P, 3 St RPC, p2, 3St LPC, p.
Row 6: k, p2, k4, p2, k.

Does any of that help at all?

I am still having trouble. I think I am doing the chart correctly, so it must have something to do with the double seed stitch pattern. It is a 4 row pattern, row 1 is the right side, so I do seed stitch , p1 k1, until I reach the marker for the cable stitches, follow the chart, some rows of which are the same whether you go l to r or r to l, and then continue with seed stitch. Still no cables.

Those big boxy things in the pattern are the cables.

In row 1 you do p k p then you do a cable over 4 stitches total: slip 2 onto the cable needle purlwise, put them in front of your work, then knit the next 2 of the left needle, then knit the stitches of the cable needle.

One cable done. then purl knit purl. And you have reached the end.

row 2 (read from left to right):

knit purl knit (you are working on the WS now, so check your instructions here!) purl 4, then knit purl knit.

By the way: please note that you pattern says “k on RS, p on WS” and the other way around for the 2 basic symbols. So you read the empty square and the dash differently depending on which row they are in.

Row 3:
Knit purl
then a "block of knit stitches traveling right:
1 stitch on the cable needle, behind your work. knit 2 stitches off your left needle, then work the stitch off your cable needle. (you do a purl here!!!)
then the other direction: 2 stitches on the cable needle in front of the work, purl one of the left needle, knit the ones of the cable needle. Then purl knit

All transfers on the cable needle are purl wise.

Of course it would be a lot easier, if your chart actually had some instruction on it. The shortcuts I am not familiar with, really.

LC means left cable, it is over 4 stitches, devided evenly.

LPC must mean Left Purl Cable: you do a cable over 3 stitches, that leans to the left, but you only knit the 2 stitches that travel in front of the work and you purl the background stitch.

That leads to a ridge of knit stitches moving to the side, lying on a purl background.

here is an example of my knitting that has such cable and running line patterns, just really interwoven:

http://hyperactive2.jalbum.net/Knitting-in-different-shapes/slides/blue_cable_front.jpg
http://hyperactive2.jalbum.net/Knitting-in-different-shapes/slides/blue_cable_big.jpg

The really long diagonal slashes indicate where you do the cable croses; they’re not on every row, the rows you don’t cross over you just knit or purl the sts.

I am still having trouble. I think I am doing the chart correctly, so it must have something to do with the double seed stitch pattern. It is a 4 row pattern, row 1 is the right side, so I do seed stitch , p1 k1, until I reach the marker for the cable stitches, follow the chart, some rows of which are the same whether you go l to r or r to l, and then continue with seed stitch. Still no cables.

We don’t have access to your whole pattern. Are you saying there is double seed stitch on each side of the chart stitches you showed us and you have put a marker on each side of the 10 chart stitches? If so then yes, you work the seed stitch up to the markers where the chart begins and then work the chart exactly as given, then start the seed stitch up after you do the chart.

What do you mean, “Still no cables.” If you are “following the chart” and still aren’t getting any cables then you are not following the chart. You have the first cable cross on the very first row of the chart. If you are making them, then they are there. :?? They may not look like the cables pictured until you have one whole repeat of the cable chart done, but you should see something happening even before that.

What you do on each side of your markers for the chart should not effect the chart itself, if you are always working the chart between your markers for the chart. Even if you foul up the double seed stitch the cables should still be where you put them.

Is your double seed stitch k1, p1 across so that the knits and purls line up with each other on two rows, and then p1, k1 the next row so that you do the opposite stitch over each stitch? Then another row that matches that, working knits over knits and purls over purls? I believe that is what double seed stitch is. It is important that you can read the stitches. There is a sticky thread at the top of the “How to Questions” folder about knitting the knits and purling the purls. This will be important for you to do double seed stitch easily.

Or you can follow the written pattern that Merigold wrote out for you in post 4. Either way, over the 10 sts, on R 1, you do 3 in seed, 4 sts in the cable, and 3 with seed st. R 2 k and p as shown. R 3- 2 sts in k p, 3 RPC, 3 LPC, 2 sts in k p. R 4 is k and p as shown. Etc…

It may not [I]look[/I] much like the pattern until you have about 5 or 6 rows done though, that’s normal.

You are right, they do not look like the picture at all. I have done 13 rows and I am doing exactly what you are saying with the chart, but when I look at the picture it does not look anything like it.

If you can post a picture of your knitting, we might be able to tell where it’s gone wrong.

Hallelujah!!! I have finally got it. I was reading the rows with the cables in the wrong direction. I didn’t even realize I was doing it. I can see the cables now after only 3 rows. Can I just say what a wonderful reference this site is. You can have any kind of knitting question and get it answered quickly by nice knowledgeable people. Thats why I have added it to my favorites. Thank you suzeeq, MerigoldinWa, and hyperactive!!!:woohoo:

You’re welcome! Glad we could help. I’m glad you finally got it going right. :hug: