Cable pattern help!

Hi there, I am knitting a cable pattern jumper and am doing the sleeves. The pattern reads as follows:

1st row: p24, k2, p12, k2, p to end
2nd row: k18, c6b, p2, c6f, c6b, p2, c6f, k to end
3rd row: as row 1
4th row: k24, p2, k12, p2, k to end

These 4 rows set position of cables. Keeping pattern correct (by working cables on every 12th row), cont as set, shaping sides by inc 1 st at each end of 4th and every foll 8th row to 84 stitches, then on 3 foll 10th rows, taking inc sts into st st - 90 stitches.

I have a couple of questions about this. Firstly, when it says “by working cables on every 12th row”, does that mean that when I am repeating the pattern I do rows 1, 3 and 4 on repeat and only incorporate the row with cabling in it every 12th row? This is my first cable jumper so really unsure about this.

Also, what does it mean by “taking inc stitches into st st”? Is it that I have to keep track of the extra stitches I’m adding on and do the normal pattern but knit the extra stitches in stocking stitch?

Many thanks for any help with this! K :slight_smile:

If you can would you post a link and the pattern name? It helps us help you.

Hiya, it was a paid pattern so when I post the link it asks for payment. Here’s a picture of the pattern though if that helps?

The picture is quite helpful. It looks more like the cables cross every 12 rows than every 4 rows. In order to do that you would repeat the 4 row pattern but for row 2, you would substitute row 4. So the repeat would be
1st row: p24, k2, p12, k2, p to end
2nd row: k24, p2, k12, p2, k to end
3rd row: as row 1
4th row: k24, p2, k12, p2, k to end
On the 12th row you would work the cable cross as given in the original row 2.
Is that what you did for the front and back?

As for the extra sts, just add them in at the ends of the appropriate rows and keep the ends of the sleeve rows in stockinette stitch. You don’t have to extend the pattern columns here. You can see it in the sleeve in the photo.

This is very helpful and I see that Salmonmac was able to help.

Thank you so much for your help, that makes it a lot easier to follow! Here is the instructions for the front, do they show the same thing? They don’t seem to suggest that I have to repeat row 4 instead of row 2 though. Do I do the normal row 2 on row 2 and then on row 12? Thanks so much for your help! Uploading…

Yes, the front is telling you the same thing. They say repeat rows 3 and 4 for rows 5-10 which is the same idea. In other words, you’ll be knitting the knit sts (the Vs) and purling the purl sts (the bumps). This will maintain the columns of knits and purls until you get to the cable cross.
Keep a count of the row so that you know when to put in the cable cross and then all your cables will be the same size.