Cable knit hat

I’m not sure if this is the right forum, but I could use some help.

I want to knit a hat for my son’s GF in worsted weight (Knit Picks Swish Worsted). I’ve begun the hat with 96 stitches on US size 4 DPNs, and have done 1.5 inches in 2 x 2 rib. Here’s the question:

I’d really like to make the rest cabled, but I’m horrible at math. Can someone point me to a pattern that would fit the 96 stitches and size 4 DPNs, or can someone tell me how to do the math for the cables so that it will come out right? I want it to be a beanie-type hat, not to bulky, so I don’t want a whole bunch of cables - I was thinking maybe four?

I then also need help with the decreases for the hat. Would the cables stop before the decrease rounds begin?

I’ve only done cables in scarves, never in hats before.

Thanks for the help - I was hoping to get this whipped out for her for Christmas.

http://www.nonsie.net/content/simple-cabled-hat

Here’s a pattern that starts with 96 stitches, but it uses a thinner yarn.

To make your own pattern, and if you used four 6-stitch cables, then you could subtract 24 from the 96 and end up with 72. Divide that by 4 and between each cable you’d have 18 stitches between each section.

You could work the decreases between the cables until there are only cable stitches left and then work them in stockinette, or, better yet, go to www.knittingpatterncentral.com or Ravelry if you’re a member and take a look at how other people decreased cable hats to get some ideas.

Thank you!!! I’m going to try it and see how it goes!

Also, You would have to do a swatch to see how it works out. It all depends on the yarn…needle size…amount of stitches. Most pattern making is about trial and error. I dont think there’s a way to calculate something like that.

I use a balanced double decrease when I decrease a hat with cables… I can plan on the decrease in the center of the cable and it makes a neat finish to the hat and doesn’t just end the cable. Knit a round between decrease rows. I also use the kitchner stitch for the top of the hat - that way it has a nice finish and I don’t have to make a pom-pom for the top of the hat.