Cable Issues

I think this was already discussed but I can’t seem to find the thread.

I love cables and I really enjoy knitting projects that have some form of cables or twists in them. The problem is that the stitches before and after the cable seem to pull so that they form small openings. I try to correct it by knitting as even as possible in the following rows but I’m wondering if I’m doing something wrong.

Any ideas how to change my technique so this doesn’t happen?

Most of the time it can even it out but my latest project doesn’t seemt to want to comply.

It’s pretty much the nature of the beast. The stitches are pulled so much it just naturally creates a small hole.

That being said…if the stitch following the cable is a purl you can wrap the yarn clockwise around it rather than counter clockwise and when you encounter it on the reverse side you knit into it through the back loop to untwist it. It seems to help a little bit.

…or you can just leave it and consider those little holes part of the design. :wink:

I guess it’s just me being anal . . .

It’s not usually that bad but I just started on the Oddball Lapghan and the spaces seem much bigger than normal. I guess I’ll just have to give it a pattern repeat or two and see if it evens out.

It does relax a bit after a few repeats, but you can do what I suggested as well. It’s worked pretty well for me.

Unfortunately it’s a knit stitches and just one cable after another. I love the pattern though. It’s called “Large Basket Stitch” from one of the vogue Knitting books.