Cable crisis

I found this pattern and having never done cables before do not understand it.

The pattern:

Cable Pattern (multiple of 12 sts + 6)
Row 1: (RS): K6, p6, k6, rep from across.
Row 2: P6, *6, p6, rep from * across.
Row 3: FC, *p6, FC, rep from * across.
Rows 4-9: Rep rows 1 and 2, ending with Row 1.
Row 10 (WS): P6, *FC, p6, rep from * across.
Rows 11-14: Rep rows 1 & 2.
Rep. Rows 1-14 for patt.

CAN you start a row (Row 3) with a Front Cross cable? I cannot find anything anywhere that says you CAN. Is row three wrong? Should the FC have a P6 or K6 in front of it?

SL3 to cn, K3, K3 from cn:
I tried to start with a FC for ROW3 BUT my yarn that I am knitting with ends up on the cable needle instead of on the needle. So I did SL3 THEN got confused at this part of the cable. The working yarn is attached to the first of the three slipped stitches. Should it not be on the third slipped stitch or ideally on the needle?) Does the working yarn need to be at the third slipped stitch or on the right needle for me to do the first K3 of the Front Cross? I end up with an unknitted yarn piece trailing over 3 stitches:S

Thanks!

Is it just the cable pattern, or is it part of something? Generally no, you don’t start or end a row with the crossover, there’s at least 2 and usually 6 or more stitches before it. If you just want to try out this pattern, put 3 purl stitches at the beginning of the pattern and 3 more at the end.

sue

Actually this pattern is part of a blanket. The pattern from FreePatterns.com - Cables Coming and Going but is too large to post. This cable pattern is to be repeated for however long I want the blanket to be. Any suggestions on if ROW 3 is wrong?

Note that the pattern is reversible.

I am knitting it in bulky yarn on two needles using a U cable hook.

After looking at the pattern, I can see why you are confused.

what you have copied here is just the cable pattern stitches.
If you take a look, there is a section called Afghan and that is where they put a border on the outside of the pattern stitches.

It says:
row 1: sl1, k5, p1, pm (this means place marker)…

the stitches on the outsides of the markers are going to be your border and the pattern will be on the inside.

Hope that helps!

There is the border! I wish they actually stated the border more clearly in the pattern instead of saying “work borders as established”! As a more recent knitter I didn’t know to look there!

Thank you for your help.

I have another question about this pattern.

The start of the pattern stitch requires me to start at row 3 of the cable pattern for the afghan. I have included the pattern for the cable below.

Rows 4-9 state that I should "rep rows 1 & 2, ending with Row 1. Row 3 is a RS so should I be starting row 4 by doing a WS? In which case Row 4-9 should follow as: row 4(as row 2 - ROW 2 is a WS),row 5 (as row 1),row 6 (as row 2), row 7 (as row 1), row 8 (as row 2), row 9 (as row 1)?
OR
Should a RS still follow row 3 (itself a RS)? In which case rows 4-9 would be as follows:
row 4(as row 1),row 5 (as row 2),row 6 (as row 1), row 7 (as row 2), row 8 (As ROW 1), row 9 (AS ROW 1?

The Cable Pattern for my blanket:

Cable Pattern (multiple of 12 sts + 6)
Row 1: (RS): K6, p6, k6, rep from across.
Row 2: P6, *6, p6, rep from * across.
Row 3: FC, *p6, FC, rep from * across.
Rows 4-9: Rep rows 1 and 2, ending with Row 1.
Row 10 (WS): P6, *FC, p6, rep from * across.
Rows 11-14: Rep rows 1 & 2.
Rep. Rows 1-14 for patt.

I’m thinking you’re right and you need to do
4: Row2
5: Row1
6: 2
7: 1
8: 2
9: 1

again. Poorly written pattern.

BUt that 's the only thing i think it can be. YOu’ll be all messed up if you do 1 then 2.