Cable Conundrum

My cables are turning out more like knotting that knitting.

I’ve tried to follow Amy’s video but I think I’m interpreting incorrectly, and a friend has tried to help over messenger but I think thats wrong too.

I’m knitting a swatch that is ten stitches per row, with the cable being 6 stitches wide and 5 rows long.

Do I:

p p k k k k k k p p for 5 rows then do the cable row?

OR

p p k k k k k k p p

k k p p p p p p k k alternately for 5 rows then do the cable row?

Or am I completely upside down and back to front with this?

You would
p2 k6 p2 (row 1)
k2 p6 k2 (row 2)
p2 k6 p2 (row 3)
k2 p6 k2 (row 4)

then

p2 c6f p2

(c6f = slip 3 stitches off needle onto cable needle, hold needle in front, knit next 3 stitches, then knit 3 stitches off on cable needle).

does that make sense?

Yes - I think so. I’ll let you know in ten minutes :muah:

You could hold the needle in the back, too. That determines which way the cable “twists.” Just do it the same way each time.

Nope - this time I not only have a huge knot of yarn, I also have a big hole next to it.

Its broken me for the time being - so I’m going to leave it and try again in an hour or so. I’ll get my camera ready so I can post pictures of the disaster if it happens again - I really don’t know what I’m doing wrong.

I’m following the videos and instructions to the letter! :wall: :wall: :wall:

Coffee needed!

one thing you have to consider, too, is that sometimes the cable doesn’t show up really well for a few rows.

The hole is normal!

Since you’re knitting stitches 4, 5, and 6, before stitches 1, 2, and 3, the yarn has to stretch, and you wind up with a little hole. I have storebought sweaters that have the holes, too. There’s not much you can do about it, but the cable mostly covers it once everything’s said and done.

You might just need to give it a few more plain rows so you can see the cable, but yes, pictures would help us resolve your knot. :hug: