Buying yarn confessions time!!!!

OK. I hope I’m not the only KH member that does this, but I’m going to spill my guts here!!!

I like to buy yarn!!! Even when I don’t need it!! A local craft store chain (A C Moore) closed down all their stores a couple weeks ago and my daughter and I went there on one of their last days open!! Just to see what they still had!!! Well, when everything is 90% off PLUS an additional 20% off at the register, I couldn’t leave any of the yarn on the shelf!!! I got all the yarn that wasn’t all messed up and was still in skeins.
Normal price $9.99 each
My price 80 cents each

And I got 14 skeins - 7 red and 7 black. I cleared them out!! Then when my daughter spotted them in the cart, I said “Well, they’re only 80 cents each.” She said “You’ll probably be able to use them for something at that price!!!”

We saw people pushing 2-3 carts around filled with stuff!! Great sales!!

Anyway, that’s my yarn shopping confession. I had announced before going in the store that I wasn’t going to buy any yarn at all, but that didn’t last long!!

Oh well,
Knitcindy

4 Likes

I’m so envious and wish I could have been there with you! Although I have a massive box in the corner of my room full already…

1 Like

That sounds fun! I’m avoiding buying yarn and using stash. I must have a need for it and now I can’t justify adding to the yarn hoard. I admit that I have too much yarn.

2 Likes

I had every intention of avoiding yarn purchasing before I got to the store. Just couldn’t pass up what seemed like the greatest deal ever!!!

Now I’ve got lots of yarn for afghans, prayer shawls and baby blankets!!!

Knitcindy

3 Likes

When I would tell my grandmother about something I bought on sale her response was, “At that price, you couldn’t leave it in the store.” It was like my skirts or dresses were puppies at the animal shelter.

3 Likes

I took the stash vow last winter but then my LYS emailed about being closed to customers but offering online purchasing and curb side pickup, with a 20% discount. Well, I don’t want them to go out of business, so I purchased enough cotton-linen yarn to make a summer pullover. Hope that helps them just a little bit!

3 Likes

I’m ashamed to say that I have a much more serious habit! I over - buy patterns (how could I not when they generally cost the price of a modest lunch - who needs lunch anyway?!) and then I buy yarn to go with it! Problem is that by the time I imagine it all, I underestimate how long it will take to complete!!
Over lock down, I’ve bought about 2 sweater quantities every week!! I then hide it from myself, and very soon, find myself back on Ravelry or Instagram and see the next ‘buy it now or lose it forever’ lovely!!

3 Likes

I have a weakness for getting free for a limited time patterns. I don’t even want to think of how many I’ve acquired that way. I should be embarrassed by my Ravelry library. I’m not.
:yum:

3 Likes

The JoAnn’s where I go had a complete remodel done last summer and I guess they wanted the least amount of product in the store :grin:. They had a huge 75% storewide sale on everything including yarn which they had already been discounted. So 1 skein normally $7-$10 I got for around $1.50 a piece and some even less. Easily normal price my whole cart would have been $175 or more and I walked out around $30. I’ll never see that kind of sale again.

Let’s just say I walked out of the store with much much more than I had initially walked in for and had some fun!

4 Likes

My weak (one of) moment came while at Goodwill. I saw a box of wool. Offered the woman $5 and she grabbed it. Bet I could have offered less. Ah well, it’s lasted a long time and am still using some.

3 Likes

Yup, been there, done that and worse. And I do it with fabric, too, I’m a quilter as well as a knitter. Stash x 2. But I justify it all because it’s that that gives me inspiration - I don’t have to use the just acquired yarn immediately for something new and exciting and in fact it’s most likely to turn me back to the stash and realise that I’ve got something exactly right already. So if buying something new sparks inspiration and creativity then it is money well spent, and will eventually, in any case, get used. I buy far more books than I can read, too, or at least it takes me far longer to get to them than I imagine possible. But they are important to have - a library is another sort of stash, I guess?

3 Likes

Laiia, I am just the same as you!..a knitter (I crochet too) , quilter and reader of wonderful books. I have fantastic stashes for all my hobbies, my home is overflowing with treasures!..I confess to having a room for each of my hobbies…machine embroidery room, knitting room, my sewing room (which will be very soon moved into my lounge room) and my bed, for reading!..I am yet to set up my yarn stash in my knitting room, I have bookshelves awaiting to be put together…I obviously live alone…and making the most of it… :smiley:

2 Likes

:star_struck: :star_struck: :star_struck:

1 Like

I’m with you there about not being able to leave it on the shelf at that price. I’m also guilty of having a ton of free patterns that I don’t think I’ll ever use but they’re too nice to not get. Especially for free!

2 Likes

Hope you have room to store it.

1 Like