Buttonhold band

:muah: :muah: Hi, I am Teresa. A very prosperous new year to everyone.

I am having a serious problem with a button hold band. I am knitting pattern 836 from peterpan. I was asked to pick up and knit 80 stitches along a right front. Knit two more rows and begin button hole as follows:

[B]1st Buttonhole Row [/B]-Rib 4, cast off next st, [rib 13 (15, 16, 17) including st used in cast off, cast off next st] 4 times rib 1, work 2 tog: 63 (71,74,79) sts.

This band has button holes side by side. I cant for the life of me get that by following the instructions beginning with 80 sts. how can I remain with 79 sts after I have cast off five times. help!!! Its mathematically impossible so I am thinking I am not understanding the instructions.

Hi, I moved your post to its own thread as it didn’t have anything to do with the work 3 rows thread.

It is confusing, I think the remaining st count is using the last ‘work 2 tog’ as the dec. But the next row you’ll inc or cast on a stitch for each one you BO for the buttonhole and it should end up with 79 sts then. What does the next row say to do?

Yeah, I think that the 79 refers to how many ‘permanent’ stitches you’ll have left after you increase on the next row to accommodate the stitches that were decreased for the buttonholes.

Sorry Suzeeq

This is my first day and I am still not understanding how to post a new thread.

Thank you for your response. But I still dont understand how to work this row over 80 stitches. It looks like I would need 95 stitches to follow these instructions if you were to calculate the number of stitches. remember I have to rib 17 stitches including the cast off stitch the next [B]four times[/B]
how is this possible working with 80 stitches.

The next row says: Rib, casting on over stitches cast off in the previous row.

" I am still not understanding how to post a new thread."

At the top of a Forum above the thread list, there’s an orange button that says, “Start a New Thread”, so that’s how you do that. Now for the knitting…

When the pattern says ‘rib’ 4 or 17, it means to work 4 sts or 17 sts in ribbing. So you do 4 sts in the rib pattern, work 2 more sts and lift one over the other, and the loop counts as the first st of the 17 sts. You actually work 16 more, then 2 more for the BO, lift one st over, do another 16, 2 for the BO and so on…

Rib 4, cast off next st, [rib 13 (15, 16, 17) including st used in cast off, cast off next st] 4 times rib 1, work 2 tog: 63 (71,74,79) sts. So you use 6 sts, 16 +2 times 4, that’s 78 sts; the last st from the BO counts as the rib 1, and you knit the last 2 sts tog.

I think that you only need 80sts to do the largest size (! assumed
that was the size you were doing because you mentioned 79sts remaining in your first post).
You rib 4, cast off one (you need to work 2sts to cast off one but the st remaining on the right needle gets counted in the 17sts within the brackets). To start the bracket, work new 16sts, cast off one and repeat this, working 16, cast off one. Each repeat starts with a st on the needle from the cast off and continues with work 16 new sts, cast off one. Finally work one st and then k2tog.
It seems like 5 sts to begin, [17st+1]x4, rib1, k2tog = 80sts.

“Buttonhole Row -Rib 4, cast off next st, [rib 13 (15, 16, 17) including st used in cast off, cast off next st] 4 times rib 1, work 2 tog: 63 (71,74,79) sts.”