Bumpy edges

Hello everyone :slight_smile:

I’m new to knitting and I’ve noticed something odd about my cast off edges. Some are smooth, while others have a very “bumpy” edge to them. I’ve run into this on a vest I’m knitting, but I’ve also run into in on a couple of smaller projects.

Is this a problem with my knitting? The shapes come out fine, and the number of stitches is right as far as I can tell. It’s just not a very pretty edge.

Is there a way to make the cast off edges smoother? It’s usually the side edges that are the most bumpy. I’m just wondering if it’s possible to make them look a little nicer.

Hopefully this is the right forum to post to. Since this is more of a general question, I posted it here. I’ve included a couple of pics. Hopefully they show up okay.

Thanks!

If you slip the first or the last stitch of the row, that’ll neaten up the edges. There are a couple of nice videos for how to if you Google “slipped edge stitch knitting” including one from New Stitch A Day.
I’m not sure about the bind off. Is the problem that the fabric is rippling?
If so, it may be due to too many sts. Knitting two together in a few places might help this. otherwise, it may just require practice to get an even looking edge.

1 Like