Braided cable stitch

I am knew to this stitch and I need help knowing which stitches to knit first from the cable needle when it is in FRONT of the cable. Can anyone explain this to mea? Thanks

I am an newbie to knititing and I can actually answer this one! :cheering:

(I am working in a little swatch to practice cable knitting and the one I am working on right now is a 3-strand braid cable!)

slip 3 stitches stitches onto cable needle and hold in [I]front[/I], knit 3, knit 3 from the cable, knit 3

other turn:

knit 3, slip 3 stitches onto cable needle and hold in [I]back[/I], knit 3, knit 3 from cable needle

[I]Sorry misread the question:[/I]

[I]EDIT:[/I] [I]use the cable needle as if it were part of the needle you are knitting from… knit the stitch closest to the new needle first[/I]

[I]So, if you knit from the left needle to the right needle, knit the stitches from the right side of the cable needle first… [/I]

I hope this helps!

Yes, always knit from your regular needle before the cable needle.

It’s which st ON the cable needle to knit first, guys.
Nic, treat the cable needle like a normal knitting needle you are knitting from, and knit the one closest to the LEFT tip:

so although the 2-4 stitches (or whatever number) on the cable needle are twisted/rearranged in order in relation to the other cable stitches on the LEFT knitting needle, those 2-4 stitches are staying in order relative to each other.

So the left needle, before you cable, let’s say it is a 6-stitch cable, 3 crossed over 3. The LN has these stitches, numbered from the tip down (right to left): 1 2 3 4 5 6, with st 1 closest to the tip. When you look at your left needle before you cable, it will look like this:

___6 5 4 3 2 1> that arrow is the left needle’s tip.

You are going to end up knitting them in this order: 4, then 5, then 6, then 1, then 2, then 3 (1,2, and 3 are the ones you put onto the cable needle).

Sarah

Left tip? I’ve never done it that way and if you treat the cable needle as if it is an extension of the other needles as such, you take the stitch from the right side so right tip. However, let’s orient this, I am right handed, and knitting yarn is coming from right side etc… if you use a different style and hand then it could be left. I’ve done a lot of cable work and always take the stitch on the cable needles that is furtherest (word?) to the right and to my main right knitting needle. I guess as long as you’re consistent in may not matter.

The left needle’s tip not the left tip of the right-hand needle.

I was referring to the cable needle which is what nicolkat asked about. The needles are effectively a straight line…just a line of three whether the cable needle is in the front or the back…if you are knitting from the right you take the cable stitch off the far right of the cable needle, not the left. As I said, that’s what I’ve always done.

This would, in my opinion, only change if there was a particular twist required in the pattern and the pattern would say to twist the needle.

If there is something I am misreading by all means point it out. I don’t mind admitting I’m wrong. I often am.

Nic… this is one of things it is much easier to understand if you see it rather than read about it, and although my explanation makes perfect sense to me… obviously it’s not so clear for everyone else even if they know cables… sorry but I think you are much better off watching the video than us trying to explain it in words.

let me try…I’ll elaborate on what Ingrid said…it’ll help if you hold your knitting and do this step-by-step as you read my response:

Look at your knitting in front of you as you’d hold it if you are knitting. Your left hand needle will be called needle number 1, your right hand needles will be called needle number 2 and your cable needle will be called needle number 3.

slip your three stitches onto the cable needle and let it fall to the front–pretend it’s not even there…

knit with needles number 1 and 2 just as you normally would for three stitches.

now pick up needle number three and hold it in your left hand as if it were needle number one and knit with it for the three stitches on the needle.

Now go back to your true needles number 1 and two and knit normally until the next place that you want to cable.

Make sense? I hope it helps…

Brava Cristy. This concurs with my view but an excellent explanation that surpassed mine by far. :cheering:

Thank you all for your help on this problem. I followed the step by step instructions from you, Christy, and it worked perfectly. Now I have done perhaps 4 repeats of the 12 stitch pattern and it looks JUST like the picture EXCEPT for the left hand cable. It is a repeat of 4 intertwining cables and the left cable doesn’t twist. It ends with p2 and looks totally wrong. The cable goes straight up, and doesn’t twist. What am I doing wrong? The other 3 cables are beautiful. HELP!! Thanks

A picture of the problem cable might help…

[FONT=Comic Sans MS][SIZE=3][COLOR=seagreen]This won’t help the problem you’re having right now…like someone else said, I need a picture to see what’s going on with that fourth cable…:think:…but I had a tip about cabling, period.[/COLOR][/SIZE][/FONT]
[FONT=Comic Sans MS][SIZE=3][/SIZE][/FONT]
[FONT=Comic Sans MS][SIZE=3][COLOR=seagreen]When I have to put just two stitches on a cable needle, sometimes I have trouble seeing if the needle has twisted while lying in front or back, so I have come up with a method of my own for being sure I am knitting from the correct end. If I am using the hook type cable needle, I make sure I put the stitches ONTO the needle starting from the short end of the hook. Then, when I knit them off, I make sure that I knit them off the long end. For bigger sizes, I made myself some 3 inch cable needles from dowels, with a point on each end, and I blackened one end (so that it looks like a sharpened pencil) and I put the stitches on from the plain end, and knit off of the dark end. This way, I make sure that I don’t twist the stitches unintentionally.[/COLOR][/SIZE][/FONT]