Braided Cable help needed

Braided cables - help! I tried a pattern that is linked from this site, but when I follow the pattern it’s not giving me a braided cable, so can someone please point me to a scarf pattern with braided cables? Or just give me a short tutorial on them. Thanks! :smiley:

Which pattern are you having trouble with?

The pattern is the Good Ole Cabled Scarf.

The cables are worked on the center 9 stitches.

On row 9, you work a front cable (slip 3 to cable needle and hold in front, knit three, knit three from cable needle) on the first 6 stitches and knit the final 3.

On row 13, you knit the first three stitches of the 9 and then work a back cable on the final 6 stitches (slip 3 to cable needle and hold in back, etc.)

Is this what you were doing?

I think I was doing the back cable on the same 3 stitches. Here are the instructions for the cabled portion.

R9: (k1 p1) 3 times, k4, p2, put the first 3 sts on cable needle, hold at front, k the next 3 sts, then k the 3 sts from cable needle, k3, p2, k4, (p1 k1) 3 times.
R11: (k1 p1) 3 times, k4, p2, k9, p2, k4, (p1 k1) 3 times.
R13: (k1 p1) 3 times, k4, p2, k3, put the first 3 sts on cable needle and hold at back, k the next 3 sts, then k the 3 sts from cable needle, p2, k4, (p1 k1) 3 times.
R15: Repeat R11.

I see where my confusion was, it says k3, put the first 3 sts on cable needle, and hold at back. I was skipping the k3.

Thanks, now that I’ve read it more closely it makes perfect sense.

It took me a few read-throughs, too. Hope it works for you.

Thanks! I changed the wording on Row 13 to say "put the next three stitches on cable needle. To me it makes it clearer.

I’ve made a basic cabled scarf before, but not the braided cable.

Thanks so much for your help with this! I was trying to teach someone how to do cables today at SnB and was distracted by all the conversation . . . not the ideal teaching situation! Glad you helped me see my error.

:cheering: