Bobbles!

hi lovely people, i was wondering if you could possibly help me with a bobble problem im having, pattern goes as follows- (K1,P1,K1,P1,K1) all into next st, turn, P5, turn, sl1, K1, psso, K1, K2 tog, turn, P3, turn, slip2 sts, K1, pass 2 slipped stitches over. the problem i think is at the “all in to next st” for the (k1,p1,k1,p1,k1) i am ending up with not enough stithes later on in the row, what does it mean “all in to next stich” if anybody could help it would be much appreciated. thank you :muah:

You work those sts into just one stitch, not over several. So knit into the st, leave it on the needle, bring the yarn to the front, purl into the same st, move yarn back, knit into the st again, move yarn to front, etc. until you have 5 sts on the R needle. Then turn and purl just those 5 sts, turn again and sl 1, k1, pass sl st over, k1, k2tog and you’re down to 3 sts. Turn and purl those 3, then turn again a slip 2 as if to k2tog, k1, psso. This is all done in one place before you continue on with the next stitches.

You might also take a look at the video on Bobbles on the Free Videos tab at the top of the page under Advanced Techs. That bobble is made by k1, yo, k1, yo, etc but the idea of knitting into one stitch is the same.

And I was going to suggest k yo k yo k instead of purling the odd stitch instead. It’s much easier and looks the same.

I use the same method that the OP uses to make bobbles. It gets ridiculously tight when you get to those last K and P before you turn and purl back.

I think the trick is to pull through a longer loop onto the RH needle than you normally would. Then the sts are loose enough to work on the turn. You can even pull through the working yarn at that point if the instructions are to purl all the sts together.

Yes, or sub a YO for the purl st, that keeps 'em looser.

And keep a crochet hook handy for big bobbles. An in-line hook like a Susan Bates works best :slight_smile: