Bobbles

i’m making a pillow cover in stockinette stitch with the occasional bobble. i’m having a very hard time with the bobbles. the book i’m using, “handknits for the home,” is telling me to start the bobble beginning with k1, p1, k1, p1. i’m using a different color for the bobbles and for some reason i’m having a very hard time just getting this first step accomplished. i checked my vogue book, but it does it an entirely different way. can anyone explain a bit more about how i do this first step correctly?[/quote]

I’ve not yet knit different colored bobbles, but, I did google & found this…does it help?!

Does the pattern say to do the k,p,k,p in one stitch? In my experience with bobbles, you do several increases in one stitch, purl the back of them and then knit them all together. What exactly does your pattern say for the bobble?

my pattern tells me to make my bobble as follows: 1. K1, P1, K1, P1 (all within the same stitch) 2. work stockinette stitch over these 4 stitches, starting with purl row 3. s1, k3tog, pass slipped stitch over the other stitch.

for some reason i keep messing up with the very first step. i’ve done this successfully in the past, but that was when i was using all one color. for some reason, adding a new color for the bobble is messing me up…

Is your new color anchored somehow? Maybe it’s too loose? Maybe you can tie a temporary knot to hold it in place while you do the bobble.

That’s all that comes to mind. I haven’t done different colored bobbles, either.

ingrid and rebecca, both your suggestions were helpful, especially the link to the directions for adding a new color for a bobble. i’ll give it a try and let you know how it goes. i guess i have to have the color ready the stitch before i begin the bobble so the color is anchored in place… thanks!