Blocking!

I am currently working on my very first project, a scarf! How original, huh? Anyway, I started out doing 20 rows of garter stitch, then went to stockinette stitch and will go back to garter stitch on the other end. I have read on my sites and stockinette stitch has a tendency to curl, and my edges are definitely curling!! What are your favorite methods of blocking and once it’s blocked, will it ever curl again? I have a feeling some of you will ask me what kind of yarn I’m using, but I don’t know off hand. I don’t have the work in front of me!

Thanks!

Stacy

Doesn’t matter what kind of yarn you’re using, if you didn’t put garter stitch on the edges of the scarf too, it’s going to curl up. Blocking can help some, but may not flatten it out completely.

sue

Garter stitch on the edges? See, that’s why learning from a book isn’t always the best way. Well, live and learn, huh? So, what do I need to do to put garter stitches on the edge?

Stacy

an all around border of garter will stop your curling significantly.

The garter stitch edges are made at the same time you make the stockinette. It’s stockinette with 3/4/5/6 edge stitches done in garter.

sue

Thanks for the tip! I haven’t gotten too far in the scarf, so I think I’m going to pull the stitches I have back to the garter stitch bottom and start over! Why not? It will only make it the 5th time I’ve started the same scarf!! :pout: At least this time I won’t be completely starting over!

Stacy

That’s the spirit!

sue