Blocking

Well, my impression of blocking is soaking the knitted piece and pinning the ends down.

Right? Currently, my knitted headband is dripping and stuck to the fridge, uncurled, with magnets holding it up… :smiley:

And since I’m at it, whats a gauge?

I don’t think your knitting needs to be dripping to block, just damp.

Gauge is the number of stitches/rows per a specific number of inches. Usually a pattern will say something like “5 stitches per inch” or “20 stitches over 4 inches.” Your goal to get it the correct size is to match that. So you knit a swatch an count your stitches and/or rows. If it’s correct you :cheering: and if not you knit another swatch with a different size needle and continue on till you get gauge. :wink:

Here is a great article about blocking, with specific tricks and tips for different types of fibers: http://knitty.com/ISSUEwinter02/FEATdiyknitter.html . Hope that you find it helpful.

Knitqueen, thanks for the link.

What does 100% man made fiber means? Synthentic?

Man-made would be acrylic, nylon, and all those fibers that don’t involve a plant or an animal, I guess. :thinking:

Yes, that’s what I thought. :frowning:

So, there is no getting away from blocking if I’m making any kind of wearable top?

None whatsoever.

Hi! Newbie knitter here :slight_smile: My question for this topic is, after you knit the piece and block it - you then have to block it after every washing to get it back to the size you need it? Is this right?

I am currently working on a 51% cotton/49% acrylic tank top and the pattern says to block to measurements, so I just wanted to know if I have to block it again after every washing.

Thanks!
Chelle

There’s always a chance that the washing will stretch out the piece or change its shape.

Check to see if you like the shape after washing, and if its not what you want, THEN block it. But i don’t think you have to do it necessarily EVERYTIME.

And since you’re using a cotton/acrylic blend the piece shouldnt stretch that much anyway. But you should always block WOOL after it gets wet.

Newbie salute! :smiley: