Blocking question

[b]Salutations knittin nation!!!
I have just about finished my very first scarf ever!!! So excited!!!
But I keep hearing about blocking and all i know about it is that it reshapes and resizes the knitting. is that even true??? if so can someone give me some instructions? Thanx!

KNIT ON.
[/b]

There is a link on the basic tachnique page I think. I am using it myself on my scarf blocking. I am not sure how to make a link so I cant put one in here

I think this is it - I missed it the first time:

http://knitty.com/ISSUEwinter02/FEATdiyknitter.html

Congrats on the scarf!

Re: Blocking… You probablly don’t need to block it, since it’s a scarf. (but DO if you want to try it out!). Blocking is one of those things that some knitters do ALWAYS, some never do, some only for certain things. I usually just block felted things (bags, clogs). Lace and openwork do need to be blocked. Sweaters–maybe (I don’t bother, but that’s just me)… hats, gloves, scarves, mittens… nahhhhhhh (again, IMHO).

On the other hand, go! Block yourself out! :slight_smile:

:rofling: (Block yourself out!)

It depends on what it’s made of, too. If it’s acrylic, blocking won’t make much of a difference, but you could wash and dry it. If it’s a natural fiber and you like it the way it is, don’t block it. If you think it could ‘relax’ a bit, then do. It’s really an asthetic decision, since fit isn’t an issue.