Blocking Question

Hi everyone,

I’m working on a cabled poncho that is knit in two rectangles, then sewed together. I’m using Cascade Eco Wool. The pattern tells me to knit a rectangle to 25" in length, and then block to a width of 18". I’ve got a good start on the first rectangle, but I’m concerned because it’s only about 12" wide. Will blocking when I’m done really add 6 more inches? Maybe I should have cast on more stitches than called for? It’s a poncho, so it’s not really fitted, but I would like it to be more than a capelet.

Thanks for any input!

Blocking will add about 3 inches per side (it does when I block wool), so you’re probably okay. But, to add the necessary width, make sure to soak the wool for at least 15 minutes to get it all saturated, it blocks better when that’s done.

Does the pattern give you a gauge pre-blocking?

Yes, that would help, because if it’s a tightly knit fabric, it won’t stretch as much as if it’s a loose fabric.

The gauge on the pattern is 20 stitches and 24 rows to 10cm after blocking. I knitted a swatch before I started that was 5 stitches per inch, so I thought I would be on gauge. But that was pre-blocked I guess???