Blocking Hats?

What is the best way to block a beret without stretching it too much? I’ve read a dinner plate works, but are there any other forms anyone has used?

Also wonder how best to block a chulo. How to get the head formed, as well as flatten the earflaps.

Thanks to anyone who can help me.

:x:

Hmm… I’m not sure either. I’ve never seen that question here either. :think:

Thanks Jan. It’s been difficult to knit hats (particularly berets & chullos) to fit… I’ll continue to try various methods of blocking, and if/when I come up with a winner – I’ll share it. Happy knitting!

I use a “head form” that I purchased from a wig store for $5.00. I think it would work for the head of the chulo, when that is dry, you could block the ear flaps “flat”. I use a 15" round styrafoam ball with a pantyhose leg over it for blocking baby hats.
Would it work to cut the size circle for your beret from plastic canvas, then cover that with wool felt … you might even be able to knit a wool cover for the plastic canvas, then hand felt it "tight.

Thank you Debbie – so much – for your suggestions!! I will put them to use… Right now I’m finishing up on a shawl, but next on list is a beret for my mother. I’ll let you know how the blocking goes. Thanks again…