Bit of advice needed

Hi, I’m new to the forum. I am a bit stuck on a design of my own. I have been trying to do a knitted hat along the style of a Kazakhstan men’s cap. Two problems - the sides are double walled for stiffness, so I have started with a purl band which switches to a knit band. The purl band will be folded up and sewn in…but I get a curl edge. Also, the top is meant to be quite flat but I cannot work out a satisfactory decrease. Can supply photos.

I get a bunch of different designs searching that but from your description I think I know which one you mean.

I think you’ll have to start with the flat and then work the sides. Just the way I’m thinking from crochet disks and squares.
There’s this for knitting, https://www.ravelry.com/patterns/library/mexican-hot-pads

You could double knit the sides. Once you get the disk kfb every stitch with 2 strands for 2 layers.
But I think what you are doing would work the same. You just have to fight the curl to get it seamed. Once it’s stitched down the curl should be held.

1 Like

Are you using double knitting or is it just a double band? Curling is normal and once you seam it it won’t show. That said…

I’ve made several hemmed hats so they have a double brim. I start with a provisional cast on, then knit for x number of rows, purl a row, then knit for x number of rows. Then I take the provisional cast on out and put it on needles and join the two halves by knitting one stitch from each side around. I can find a tutorial if you’re interested.

The top… what do you mean by flat? Rounded, but not pointed?

Hello, Jan. It is a lovely WYS Aran. I can send you a couple of photos that might make things a bit clearer. As for the top - imagine a disc across the top.

Jan, I’ve just read through your text again and I can see how you solution to the band will work, though I’ll have to teach myself the provisional cast on. :thinking:

I use a crochet provisional cast on. I usually cast onto a circular needle since I always make hats in the round.
This video shows you from start to finish. It’s a little fiddly, but once you get the hang of it it’s a lovely bottom of a hat.

Here’s another video if it helps, plus there is one here in Knitting Help linked at the top of the page.
http://tutorials.knitpicks.com/crocheted-provisional-cast-on/

I’m not sure how to make a completely flat top. Maybe someone else can help with that.

Thanks, Jan. I’ve tried circular needles but couldn’t gt on with them so
have remained with DPNs. The only way I can think of doing the top is to
build a circle by gradually increasing at both ends to the width I need and
then an equal decrease down the other side… then sew this onto the top?
Hmm, will have a go on some scrap wool. I am intrigued by the provisional
cast on - I must have a go!

Cheers,

Ric

PS - I’ll let you know how I get on.

I’m not sure about your idea. It seems like you’d have to do quick decreases to not get it rounded, but I’m not sure. I just make rounded crowns myself. Since heads are rounded wouldn’t a square one round out anyway? Hmmm…

For casting on to DPNs I think I’d cast on to a straight or circular needle then slip the stitches on your DPNs. That would be easier than casting on to them directly I think… ?

Hi, Jan. Yes, I cast on to straights and then transfer to DPNs. As I mentioned, I have tried circular but since I am self-taught I can’t get the hang of the extra loop sticking out. I’ll take another look at the crown; I can attach a photo of an original hat to illustrate what I am trying to achieve.

Well, I have unravelled the hat and started again (something I’m not afraid to do). I have been using the cast on method you suggested; intriguing! I’m not sure what happens later but I’ll look it up. Thank you for your advice. As for the crown…maybe I’ll have to learn crochet!

The first video I posted shows you what happens next.

I use magic loop with a long cable so two loops. It was weird at first, but it’s my go to method for anything circular unless it’s very small diameter like a finger puppet then I use DPN. :wink:

BTW…I’ve only been knitting since 2005 so maybe things are less ingrained for me. Also…I’m 64.

Thanks, Jan. I was initially taught by some girls at university (didn’t
have a girlfriend to knit a jumper for me) and then have learned as I get
on. Beat you on the age front- 68 this year.

Ric

Thanks, Mike. I have now sorted the sides and am venturing onto the top.
Think I know how to do it. I’ll post the pattern if I am successful!

Ric

Jan, thought you might like to see the final hat. The sizing formula I used gave a hat too small for me. I’ll have to amend the formula next time.

1 Like

The hat looks wonderful! Well done.