Binding off for shoulders - confused

I’m a fairly experienced knitter, but I’m finding I’m confused by the following instructions in a Novita Nordic Wool sweater (women’s) pattern:

“…bind off for the shoulder at both ends on every other row 3x3 sts and 5x4 sts (7x4 sts and 1x5 sts) 4x4 sts and 4x5 sts (8x5 sts) 5X5 sts and 3x6 sts (1x5 sts and 7x6 sts)”

then later when it describes subsequent binding off on two sides of the neckline, it says “bind off 2x2 sts at the neckline edge”, but it’s not in a ribbed pattern - it’s stockinette.

Can anyone explain this to me?

I thought it might be for the different sizes to make the sweater - XS, (S), M, (L), XL, (XXL)
but I can’t believe the stitch counts would be so wildly different.

Thank you!

Elaine

Welcome to KH!
The total stitch counts differ by ~10-15 sts. It’s the directions for different sizes:
…bind off for the shoulder at both ends on every other row
3x3 sts and 5x4 sts XS
(7x4 sts and 1x5 sts) S
4x4 sts and 4x5 sts M
(8x5 sts and ?) L
5X5 sts and 3x6 sts XL
(1x5 sts and 7x6 sts)XXL

For the XS you would bind off at each end 3sts at the armhole edge 3 times and then bind off 4sts at the armhole edge 5 times.

The bind off at the neck is 2sts bound off 2 times.
What is the name of the pattern and which size are you making?

Thank you a so much for your reply and help! I’ve included a link below to the pattern.
So to clarify, if I’m making the XXL, the bind off would be 1 stitch at one armhole edge 5 times, then at the other end (armhole edge), I would bind off 7 stitches 6 times? I guess I didn’t expect a "lopsided bind off, judging by the look of the finished sweater (photo attached). It’s from www.loveknitting.com

Thank you so much again. I will re-examine my work!

Elaine

Novita Nordic Wool Women’s Knitted Sweater51%20AM

Thanks for the link.
Bind off the the shoulder at both ends on every other row 1x5 sts and then 7x6 sts.

Bind off 5sts work to the end of the row, turn, bind off 5sts and work back. That’s binding off 5sts at both ends.

When you turn for the next row, bind off 6sts, work to the end of the row, turn, bind off 6sts and continue to the end of the row. Repeat these last two rows 6 more times (14 rows altogether)

Thank you!