Binding off at each edge

I’m feeling a bit stupid that I can’t figure this out, but I’m working on a pattern that has a pretty bottom hem and can’t figure it out. According the pattern, which is called Birchbark on Ravelry, I’m supposed to:

On the last 4 rows, bind off 2 sts at each edge, then 3 sts at each edge. Bind off to end.

So, I started to bind off the first 2 sts, but when I got to the end of the row, I was stumped. I tried a sloped bind off, but then that gives me an uneven number of rows. Can anyone offer me any thoughts on how to handle this? TIA!

Is this the pattern?

You can really only bind off at the beginning of a row. The pattern also indicates 4 bind offs in 4 rows.
Bind off 2sts, work to the end of the row, turn, bind off 2sts and work to the end of that row. Do the same with the 3 stitch bind offs.
Thanks for the pattern link Jan. it such a classic look.

Yes, Jan, that’s the pattern–I wasn’t able to post it because I’m new. :aww: So I should just bind off at the beginning of each row then? I guess I find it confusing when it says to do 4 rows because wouldn’t I technically be doing 5 to get all the bind offs? Why can’t patterns indicate that? Would make things so much clearer!

Is there any particular bind off you’d suggest, or would just a regular ole bind off do? Thanks again!

I’m feeling a little silly now. Is this what the pattern meant all along:

Bind 2 sts off at the beginning of the row, knit to end, turn work, then bind of 2, knit to end, turn work, bind off 3, etc.?

I was reading it as bind off 2 stitches at the beginning, 2 sts at the end, then repeat, which is why I was having so much trouble.

Thank you so much for clarifying, salmonmac! I feel like a bit of a noob! :teehee:

We all learned these things somewhere, sometime. Don’t ever feel silly about asking questions, certainly not here.