Bind off at Beginning of Row?

Help needed. I have messed up this seemingly simple task the same way on 3 separate occasions and have had to unpick the bound-off stiches and even rip back the whole previous row, in order to try again. I remain as mystified as ever and cannot seem to learn anything from this mistake.
My instructions say: “Bind off 5 st at beg of rs row.” It is a purl row. So, I slip 2 st off purlwise and lift the first one over the 2nd, then off the needle, until I have done that 4 times and am left with the 5th stitch on the right hand side needle with the four bound off stiches hanging under…but then what? How do I bind off this final stich? It is still connected to the working yarn, with the four bound off stitches in between. Now what? Do I cut the yarn and pull though the remaining loop?
Every other time I’ve ever bound anything off, it has been at the end of a row, so I’ve never encountered this perplexity before.

Purl 2sts, lift the first over the second, purl another stitch and then repeat the bind off. You’ll work 6 sts in order to bind off 5. Yes you’ll end with one stitch on the right needle and then continue with the instructions.
What pattern are you following?

2 Likes

I am working form the SHAPE NECK section of the FRONT on this pattern. http://www.lionbrand.com/lby_freedownload/download/link/product_id/88131/

I should also mention that due to the bulk of the sweater, I’m using disconnected circulars to knit straight, turning the work each time.

I should also mention that due to the bulk of the sweater, I’m using disconnected circulars to knit straight, turning the work each time.

Very nice pattern, knit sideways for front and back. Yes, purl 6, cast off 5 as I indicated in the 2nd post.
Usually, you would purl these sts until there are 2 on the right needle, lift one over and off then purl another etc but for this pattern slipping the sts purlwise might work better. It’ll be a tighter bind off and less likely to stretch.