Bind off 1 st each side

I am a new knitter and need help understanding a poncho pattern-DROPS Children 9-23.
Bind off 1 st each side:3-4-4(5-5-4) times every 3 1/8”-2 1/2”-2 3/4” (2 1/2”-
2 1/2”-3”)
After last bind off continue inc until piece measures 22 1/2”
I am knitting the largest size.
Thanks for your help.

I think this is your pattern.

After last bind off continue inc until piece measures 41-45-48 (53-55-57) cm / 16"-17 3/4"-19" (21"-22½"-22½"). Approx 67-73-79 (85-89-95) sts on needle. Bind off with 2 strands of the yarn held double.

I’m not sure what you need to know and I’m concerned I’ll confuse you more. Maybe @salmonmac will understand or you could be more specific.

That is so cute!

For the largest size: you have cast on 35 sts, marked the center stitch and increased each side of it every other row until the work measures 101/4".
Then you begin to bind off 1stitch each side every 3" four times ( at the same time you continue the center increases every other row)
After the fourth decrease you continue on with just the center increases until your work measures 221/2". Follow pattern for bind off.

I don’t understand “every 3 inches”.
Does “each side” mean each side of the center stitch?
On my knit row, do I knit stitches until it measures 3 inches, then bind off 1st, knit again until I measure 3 inches, then bind off 1 more stitch?
Then do the same for the next purl row, knit row, purl row which would equal 4 times?

The increases are each side of the middle stitch.
The bind offs are at the beginning of a row so they are at the very edges of the knit piece.
Since you can really only bind off at the beginning of a row, bind off 1 stitch at the beginning of the knit row, work to the end of the row, turn and bind off at the beginning of the purl row. That way, the two edges will decrease and the shaping will be the same on both edges.
Call the first bind off row, 0 inches, then you would bind off when your knitted fabric measure 3”, 6”, and 9”.