Best light weight yarn for Infinity scarf?

Hello. My Mom wants me to knit her an infinity scarf. The problem you ask? She lives in South Texas and really has no need for one but she is adamant about the scarf. And not a shawl, it has to be a scarf. I have tried talking her out of it, lol.
I am used to knitting dense, heavy scarves and hats for a more Northern Climate.
I would appreciate any name brands and weight suggestions for a light weight yarn that would knit up nice.
I am not really familiar with thinner yarn other than cotton.
Help! :slight_smile:
Thanks!

Yeah, it’s a little warm down there. I’m sure at nights in winter she may find some use or in a cold restaurant.

So I guess you want cotton blend maybe? Not sure what you mean by light. If you normally use thicker yarn then even worsted would be thinner, but I don’t consider it light. So the choices are lace weight, fingering, sport, DK and worsted. Do you have a pattern in mind? If so then that would be very helpful so we can see what weight they suggest.

1 Like

Where do you get your materials?

1 Like

I’ve used Classic Elite yarn’s Soft Linen for a lacy summer scarf
https://www.ravelry.com/yarns/library/classic-elite-yarns-soft-linen

It’s light but holds shape nicely.

1 Like

Don’t forget southerners get used to the heat. Brother’s SiL was here from Italy wearing a coat on a cool summer night, I was sweating in short sleeves.

I made a skull cap for a friend in FL (single layer worsted). She said she wanted it for all year.

1 Like

Thanks for the suggestions.
I have narrowed it down to 2 lace patterns.
One says to use fingerling and the other suggests lace weight yarn.
Would a cotton blend be cooler than linen?

I rarely use yarn that weight so I’ll defer to someone who knows better.

1 Like

It probably depends on the yarn. A chainette yarn is usually lighter that a twisted ply but the best thing is to actually see and feel the yarn in store if possible. I like a linen blend as well because linen tends to start out a bit stiff and scratchy.

1 Like