Best cast on for hat

I have now knit a few hats…yeah!!
But I am not happy with the cast on edge of the brim.
I have always used the only cast on method I know.
Not sure what you call it. You essentially knit a stitch
But loop it over the left hand needle

I have looked on you tube at the long tail cast on but
Yikes it looks like it would take practice and to keep proper tension while learning. I tried the cable cast on,
And no problem going between the sts, wrapping yarn around needle like to knit, but I have a heck of a time grabbing the yarn to pull thru. It often splits. Is this normal?

So what is the best looking, yet easiest cast on method for a good looking brim?

It sounds like you’re doing the knitted cast on. I use long tail at least 99% of the time. I guess the other 1% would be a provisional cast on that I use for hems. Long tail isn’t hard once you get the hang of it and I think it’s worth learning because it’s so fast and IMO looks very nice.

If you’re doing a 1x1 ribbed brim you could try a tubular cast on. It looks really nice, but it seems fiddly and I haven’t tried it yet. Plan to though.