Bergere Pattern No: 427.23

From the pattern for the dress the armhole instruction is to cast off at the beginning of every row as follows:

‘3 sts twice, 2 sts twice, 1 st 4 times’

Does this mean the following:
Row 1 : Cast off 3
Row 2 : Cast off 3
Row 3 : Cast off 2
Row 4 : Cast off 2
Row 5 : Cast off 1
Row 6 : Cast off 1
Row 7 : Cast off 1
Row 8 : Cast off 1

Interesting how the writing style varies from different pattern writers

Do you have a link to the pattern or at least a pic so we can see the item? It makes a difference if you’re working both armholes at once vs. working to a neckline and back.

You have the right idea with how you’re counting it out. But, generally, stitches tend to be cast off only at the beginning of rows, so for just one armhole, you’d be casting off technically every other row. So:

Row 1: Cast off 3, work to end
Row 2: work back across
Row 3: Cast off 3, work to end
Row 2: work back across
Row 3: Cast off 2, work to end
etc.

If you’re shaping both at once, you’d do this:

Row 1: Cast off 3, work to end
Row 2: Cast off 3, work to end
Row 3: Cast off 3, work to end
Row 4: Cast off 3, work to end
Row 5: Cast off 2, work to end
Row 6: Cast off 2, work to end
Row 7: Cast off 2, work to end
Row 8: Cast off 2, work to end
etc.

So you’re doing the shaping every row, just on a different armhole each time, which means you’re doing each set of instructions twice.

Thank you for your reply. The armholes are shaped together. Do you think that I need to double up the instructions or that that has already been included in the instructions - i.e. two rows of casting off 3 stitches, two rows of casting off 2 stitches and four rows of casting off 1 stitch - so that would accommodate both shoulders.

Here is the link to the pattern:
http://www.deramores.com/dress-hat-booties-in-bergere-de-france-coton-fifty-427-23

For most patterns and I’d say especially for this baby dress, both armholes have already been considered in the directions. So you’re original listing of the rows in post #1 is correct, cast off for first side armhole at the beginning of row 1, for second armhole row 2, etc.
This little dress is so adorable. I’ve added to my to-do list.

Good pick-up Lewister on whether this is a single armhole as on a cardi front or two armholes at once as in the back of a sweater.

Thanks everyone. It is a lovely pattern and I really hope I can do it. I have ordered the wool, for delivery tomorrow, in the white and yellow of the pattern. I have so many projects to do but like to know I understand the pattern before I buy the pattern.

Where would we be without forums? A load of half completed projects and a lot more frustration x

Ah - baby sweater. Then what I wrote out is likely not what was meant and salmonmac has it right. My directions would make your armholes too long.

(One of my first sweaters, I didn’t understand these kinds of directions and cast off at the end of rows as well as the beginning. Took a while before I realized that the uncomfortably tight armholes were because I did the shaping incorrectly. Must have given me a set number of rows to work instead of inches because - ouch!)

Stitch counts r[I]eally[/I] help when this gets confusing and it often does. There’s no standard template for patterns so we have to figure out the individual designers’ intentions.

Hi Everyone!

I am stuck again on the back of this dress. The back has an opening, which is closed by press studs. I have knitted up to the shoulder on the right hand side with half the stitches and now have to knit up to the shoulder on the left hand side with the stitches that have been on the stitch holder. The opening has a moss stitch border. The instruction for the opening on the left hand side says as follows:

‘with rs facing pick up sts left on stitch holder & pick up 6 sts behind the 6 border stitches, Work as for right back reversing all shaping’

What does 'pick up 6 sts behind the 6 border stitches mean? There are no stitches behind the border on the right hand side.

In addition, the shaping for the right hand side is made by casting off at the beginning of the rows. How can that be reversed? It is not possible to cast off at the end of a row as there will be one stitch left at the end that is not attached to the rest of the work.

I do have a photograph of the back that Bergere e mailed me (it is not on the pattern) but it will not upload. If anyone would like to see it, please let me know your e mail address and I will send it

Thank you

it sounds like there should be an overlap at the base of the opening. if you pick up 6sts behind the 6stitch border from the right hand side. So instead of having a kind of V at the back, there’ll be this 6stitch overlap.
If you cast off at the beginning of the right side row (RS) on the right back then cast off at the beginning of the wrong side row (WS) on the left back. That’ll reverse the shaping.