Benefits of knitting are many

I thought I’d tell you my story of coming back to knitting after not knitting for many years. I had discovered crochet and having raised three boys, the time to finish projects seemed faster.

Then the arthritis set in, couldn’t make anything anymore, cooking – everything was difficult. My husband knew my wrists were so sore that I could not open door knobs, bless his heart as he went through and changed about every door knob in our house the the lever type which allowed me to grip with hands which could no longer grip. My back and knees were also going down hill.

I set to reading and watching self-help and things to eat and those things to avoid. So I thought milk might be my target trigger as I have had trouble with it all my life. It was a good judgment call. After three months I was feeling much better and decided the fingers needed some therapeutic encouragement. And not just my hands, all my joints were much better. So goodbye cane and wheelchair and that was good news. If I have to resort to them, the time is brief now.

Whereas I still could not crochet, I could knit but the cold metal needles were not helping much so I invested in bamboo ones. Good choice, I didn’t know that they are recommended for those having arthritis.

So I took time out of making projects just to knit and experiment with knitting styles in order to find ones which truly did not hurt. The good of this is I found by switching from one style to another, it rehabilitated all my finger joints as all have slightly different movements.

I can open regular door knobs again and even can open many jars if the hubby hasn’t tightened them with his vice grip fingers. For that I have an ugly can opener which expanded to be able to grip and open jar lids. Who knew? Sure is ugly but it is beautiful when I need it.

So I’ve been knitting up a storm and now I can also crochet, but not as long but am working on getting the strength back a bit more. But I truly have fallen in love for what knitting has done for me.

Before I could hardly type or even sign my name I had so much pain. My doctor, knowing about my fingers hurting, had pictures of my swollen joints on file in his computer so one day he asked to look at my hands. Amazed he said my hands no longer showed visible signs of arthritis. I always take my knitting everywhere I go, so he knows I knit. Avoiding offending foods has really helped, since I eat lots of veggies, my calcium levels are not low either. Big surprise for the doctor.

I hope that any who read this who have arthritis don’t lose hope and hang in there. I’ve even read that others have had success with knitting for restoring function.

Additionally knitting does good things for the mind. My dad died of Alzheimer’s disease so if I can work my mind along with my hands, it helps two issues at the same time. My neurologist is pleased with my improvement as he says using both hands is good for many areas of the brain.

I hear knitting is good to release endorphins. I don’t know the science behind it, just know that I am happier and if addicted to knitting, it is a positive thing and I am back to making projects which pleases me.

Hope this helps at least one person.

Glad to find the forum.

Your story is indeed inspiring. You’ve certainly have lots of fellow addicts here too.

Wow. You’re amazing. I cut out almost all dairy and my joints don’t bother me nearly as much as they did. Mine aren’t very bad but putting off worse seems like a good idea to me.

That’s awesome, Sally! Glad you are feeling better and can do the things you love again!

Not related, but for interests sake- I have arthritis in my cervical spine and while hasn’t caused a problem with knitting I was using a lot of pain meds. I discovered that giving most grain (primarily gluten containing grains) has made a huge difference. I rarely have to take pain meds anymore. I am lactose intolerant, but without grain I can eat a little greek yogurt and cheddar now.