Beginners question about pattern instructions

Hello, I am pretty new to knitting and have just started my first jumper for my baby. The pattern tells me to cast on 38 sts. Row 1 [WS]: K each st tbl. Work 6 rows in garter stitch. Change to 5mm needles and cont in garter stitch for a further 6 rows.

My question is about the initial rows. Once I have cast on, am I then knitting 6 or 7 rows before changing needles? Your help would be appreciated!

Welcome to KnittingHelp!
It’s not so clear but I’d say, knit the first row (WS) and then knit 6 garter stitch rows (so 7 rows total), change needles and knit 6 more rows. That way you’ll end having completed a WS row and be ready to work the next row on the RS. See if that makes sense with the next directions for the sweater.
Can you give us a link to the pattern or a pattern name?

I read it the same way salmonmac does. First row, knit all stitches through the back loop. Then start counting the rows for the 6 rows of garter stitch which gives 3 ridges, change needles and do 6 more rows of garter stitch. Work each step and then move on to the next. It’s kind of like having a list:

Knit all stitches through the back loop for one row - check it off
Knit 6 rows garter stitch - check it off
Change to larger needles - check it off
Knit 6 rows garter stitch - check it off

Thank you salmonmac and GumpyGramma. The pattern is called “Striped jacket” in a book called “Cute and Easy Baby Knits” by Susie Johns. This is actually the sleeve as I thought it would be easier than starting with the body :slight_smile:

I do actually have a further question. I have to change colours after every 16 rows. It then says “At the same time, inc 1 at the end of 9th and foll 10th rows until there are 52 sts.” What does that part mean? Am I increasing one each end of every 9th and 10th row of every new colour?

Thanks so much again!

Usually on a sleeve it says inc at each end of the row. The way that’s written it sounds like increase on one end only. Counting from where you are you would work the inc row on the 9th and 10th rows, repeat until you have 52 sts.

It’s smart to start with a sleeve. I didn’t on my first sweater and I should have.

Maybe this is the pattern?

Yes, definitely increase at each end of the sleeve. Don’t pay attention to the color change when you count rows for the increase. Count rows from the beginning of the increases. If you call the starting point for the increases row 1, you would increase on row 9, row 19, 29, 39 etc. It’s a very gradual increase.
Out of curiosity, how many sts on the needle before the increases start?

Yes! That’s the pattern. Thanks - that definitely clears it up. I didn’t understand what foll 10th meant, but you have explained it well.

I cast on 38 sts, then had a 2 stitch increase on row 14, then these further increases begin.

From the pattern, I think that this increase on row 9 will be row 9 of my first colour change. It says to "join in yarn A and cont in garter stitch, changing colours to B,C and D after every 16 rows. At the same time, inc 1 at each end of 9th and foll 10th rows. So I am pretty sure from your explanation that the increase to 42 stitches will be row 9 of yarn A.

[I] inc 1 at each end[/I] That makes a difference.