Beginner to a pattern

Hi folks,
I’m a beginner. I’m trying a blanket (James C. Brett JB447)

1st row: (yfwd, s1, k2tog, psso, yfwd, k3)

• When I do my yfwd and s1, do I put the yarn to the back to then do the k2tog?
•when it says yfwd, k3, do I have my yarn forward for every 3 of them k3 stitches?
Thank you in advance for any help. x

Welcome to the forum!

Yes, the yfwd is a yarn over. The yarn comes to the front between the needles then over the right needle to the back. You’re to bring the yarn forward, slip one then bring the yarn to the back over the right needle to k2tog.

For the yfwd, k3 bring the yarn to the front between the needles, then over the right needle to the back and k1, then knit the next two sts. The yarn over will be just before the first of the three knit sts.

Sorry to sound silly. After the slip one stitch, when you say “bring back and over right needle”
Do you mean I put the wool back to the normal knit position at the back and to do the k2tog?
Or
does yarn have to be forward (over right needle) to do the k2tog?
Thank you for your help.
I don’t want to make a mistake and rip it all out again as I don’t know how to fix the mistakes.

Thank you x

The yarn goes to the back over the right hand needle and then you work the k2tog. It’s similar to this video

You’ll always need the yarn at the back to work a knit stitch or a k2tog.
Making a mistake is all part of knitting. You can always knit a small sample swatch to use for practicing new stitches. Also, using a lifeline makes ripping back (always a chore) easier.

1 Like

Hello
Those 2 yarn forwards are really yarn overs to produce 2 new stitches, 1 either side of a double decrease, resulting in the same number of stitches but with a pretty increase decrease increase bit of lace pattern.

Bring the yarn forward BETWEEN the needles as though preparing to purl.
Slip 1 stitch purl wise.
Bring the yarn from the forward position to the back position by taking it OVER the top of the right needle (not between the needles).
The yarn is now at the back but has produced a new stitch on the right needle. (This stitch doesn’t look like a proper stitch until the next stitch is worked which locks it in and attaches it to the fabric.)
Work the k2tog (that new stitch is now locked in and attached behind the work and the yarn is attached in the back as normal after a knit stitch).
Then psso by picking the slipped stitch up with the left needle and taking it over the worked stitches and off the right needle.

Next another yfwd
Bring the yarn forward BETWEEN the needles as though preparing to purl.
Bring the yarn from the forward position to the back position by taking it OVER the top of the right needle (not between the needles).
The yarn is now at the back but has produced a new stitch on the right needle (it is not locked jn yet)
Work k1 and the new stitch is locked in behind the fabric. (That’s the first of the k3)
Work k2 as normal.(That’s the k3 complete).

It’s a bit wordy but sometimes wordy helps.

When complete you should have the same number of stitches on the needle. You could put in a marker or but of yarn before you begin this section and then when you’re done count the stitches. You have made 2 new stitches and have decreased 2 stitches and should be able to see the new stitch produced by the yarn over, it is attached a little differently to a normal stitch, then the double decrease, then the next new stitch, then 3 normal stitches.

Good luck.
By the way, no question is silly, if you don’t understand keep on asking. Eventually it will click.

Thank you so much for your help. I knitted the pattern for four rows. I made mistakes, I could of cried but I managed to salvage it back to the border, phew.
I’m not sure if I’m doing the 2nd row correctly after knitting the 1st row?

1st row:YFWD, S1, K2tog, PSSO, K3.

I’m not sure if I’m purling the new stitch (made form the 1st row) correctly?

Is there a specific way pick up the stitch that was made from the 1st row etc?
Would hate to start the trying again to ruin it again :sob:.

I’m sorry too ask all these questions xx

Is row 2 just purl across?
The new stitch should just be worked like a normal stitch.
There are 2 legs of a stitch, the front leg is on the right (the yarn path runs right to the next stitch) and the back leg is on the left (yarn path runs left to the next stitch). You can check your new stitches are mounted correctly. They should be correct the way you worked them but you can still check. If any are not mounted this way they are twisted and you can slip it the the other needle and untwist it when you slip it back.

I had a lace pattern which had yarn overs between knits and purls and my resulting new stitch was twisted, I just untwisted as I worked it. You shouldn’t have this with your pattern but might in future patterns.

Well done for managing to tink back and save the stitches. Any time you undo work you can check each stitch is mounted correctly. Sometimes grabbing and saving the stitch needs to take priority and the untwisting can come later.

You don’t need to be sorry. Ask as many questions as you need to. I do! It’s nice to be able to help a little.

In general, a yarn over from the previous row is purled on the next row unless the pattern says otherwise.
It’s good that you figured out how to work the yarn over at the beginning of the row. It can be a bit of a stumper.

Yes the 2nd row is all purl apart for the knitted border part.
I’ve been getting myself confused as I’ve been watch YouTube videos and some video I’ve watched show you having to wrap the yarn all the way round the right needle, then purling.
When picking up the knit increase from row one, is it just a basic normal purl that I do?
Many thanks x

No, don’t do this. This is for when there is a yarn over before a purl. As you can imagine bringing the yarn forward to prepare for a purl do not make a new stitch so in these cases it’s brought forward then all the way over and forward again. This is not what you need to do.

Just purl. Normal. Plain purl. Nothing different unless stated in the pattern.

Awww thank you so much and for your simple explaining for me. I’m very grateful.

2 Likes