Beginner needs help with 2 color knitting

Help!! Sorry in advance for the long question…

I’m a beginner knitter and I’m trying the to knit this “Fruit Cap” http://store.nobleknits.com/annnokifrcap.html

It’s a red hat that looks like a strawberry, so it has little green dots through the middle of the hat, and then a green top that looks like leaves.

For the little green dots in the middle of the hat, the directions say to K7 MC, K1 CC rep to end of rnd, and it goes on like this for a few rows to add 1 green stitch for every 7 red stitches. My problem is that I’m assuming I should use the Fair Isle method to carry the CC. But, the first time I did this (yes, I’m on my 2nd try with the hat), I had a really hard time not making the carried yarn too tight and as a result, the green stitches receded, plus it was really hard to do with the 2 1/2 DPNs that I’m using since I sometimes had to carry the CC across needles. Plus, I didn’t like the look of the carried yard on the inside of the hat since it had to travel past 7 stitches. Everything I’ve read says not to use the Fair Isle method if you need to carry the 2nd color more that 4 or 5 stitches. But, the Intarsia method doesn’t seem to make sense for one stitch of CC every 7 stitches.

I’m making the “variation” version of this hat for a preemie baby, so I’m using fingerweight yarn, and I didn’t think it would be good to have lots of loose carried yarn on the inside because I don’t want it to catch on any of the baby’s IV lines or respirator tubes.

So… what are my options?? Just go against the instructions and do the green CC stitch every 4 or 5 stitches and just have lots more green dots? Or, is there another method I can use?

Thanks in advance!!!

Lisa

And that, dear friends, is why my two grandchildren haven’t gotten strawberry caps (though they’d look adorable in them).

You could do more dots closer together – why not?

Or you could continue with Fair Isle but weave the colors around each other every three stitches to keep the floats from getting too long.

Duplicate stitch might also work.

The way to keep the stitches on the back of a Fair Isle pattern from becoming too tight and puckery is this: every time you finish a sequence of three to five stitches, spread the new stitches on the right needle as far apart as you can. This creates exactly the right amount of slack – not too tight, not too loose – and the movement quickly becomes automatic.

:cheering:

Thanks so much for your advice! I ended up putting the green stitches in every 5 stitches and weaving every 2 or 3 in between. It worked great and the hat came out so cute. I ended up making 2 preemie versions of the hat… one a little bigger than the other. Wahoo! A successful first project!

Thanks again. Now I’m off making a baby blanket.