Beginner Knitter need help with a pattern!

Ok so I am doing a Red Heart Souffle Wrap for my mom for Christmas, that is if I can ever figure out what in the world I am doing! I will provide the link to the pattern below but will ask some questions about it here.
So my first question is how do I know how many stitches to cast on? I don’t see anywhere how many to cast on and that alone makes it impossible for me to even start the project. After watching a tutorial on how to start a long tail cast on I need to know how many st I will be working with to measure out my tail. Not to mention just to make the item altogether!
Second, this phrase is very confusing to me "repeat from to across row to last st"
I probably have a world of other questions coming to finish this piece but I will start with these. Thanks everyone!

Pattern
So it wont let me post the link to the pattern so I will break it up, just remove spaces and add periods
www redheart com/files/patterns/pdf/LW3850.pdf

SHAWL
Using smaller size needle, cast on loosely
428 sts (do not count double slip knot) use
suggested method described under NOTES

Isn’t that just for the shawl part, what about the lace and ruffle?

You’re losing me…Using smaller size needle, cast on loosely
suggested method described under NOTES.
First Row (Wrong Side): knit across.
At end of row, pull double slip knot off needle
and undo — 428 sts.
Right Side: Begin 4 row Ruffle Pattern,
starting with Row 1. Repeat these 4 rows for a
total of 16 rows.

This pattern has a couple different styles you do, like half of the scarf is one pattern and the rest is another. Here is all 3. What I am saying is that the 428 sts is just for the last pattern isn’t it? What about the Ruffle and Lace patterns?

RUFFLE PATTERN
(multiple of 6 + 2)
Row 1 (Right Side):
Slip 1 knitwise, k1, yo,
k2tog, k1, p2
repeat from to across row to
last st, k1.
Row 2:
(Wrong Side): Slip 1 purlwise, k2, p4
repeat from to across row to last st, p1.
Row 3:
(Right Side): Slip 1 knitwise, k1,
k2tog, yo, k1, p2
repeat from to across row
to last st, k1.
Row 4:
Repeat row 2.

LACE PATTERN
(multiple of 5 + 2)
Row 1 (Right Side):
Slip 1 knitwise, k2tog,
yo, k1, yo, ssk
last st, k1.
Row 2:
(Wrong Side): Slip 1 purlwise, purl to
end of row.

SHAWL
Using smaller size needle, cast on loosely
suggested method described under
NOTES.
First Row (Wrong Side):
knit across.
At end of row, pull double slip knot off needle
and undo — 428 sts.
Right Side:
Begin 4 row Ruffle Pattern,
starting with Row 1. Repeat these 4 rows for a
total of 16 rows.
Change to larger size needle and begin
decrease rows.

To me, you cast on the stitches for the scarf, then work the patterns off of them. Like, cast on the 428 then work the first row; and then do 16 rows of the ruffle pattern, then do the lace pattern, continuing to alternate them as you wish. When the length is what you want it to be, you start working the decreases.

Do I make sense? I’m not sure I do, lol!

I think I get it now, thanks. I thought there were 3 seperate sections and that they didn’t list the cast one for the first 2. I just hope I can do this right lol

It is a bit confusing, for sure.

I guess they give you the instructions to make the patterns, then you decide how to make it your own by choosing how many “ruffles” or “lace” to put in them.

Such a pretty pattern, nice choice!

For the long tail cast on check out this video. KNITFreedom - Never Run Out Of Tail Cast-On: The Infinite Tail-Method (Double-Tail Method) For that many stitches you don’t want to be guessing.

The multiples for the different stitch patterns are given not to confuse but to help. If you’re not familiar with how these things work it is confusing and not helpful as it’s TMI.

Your cast on is 248 sts. The ruffle pattern multiple works out to 6 x 71 + 2 = 428.

RUFFLE PATTERN
(multiple of 6 + 2)
Row 1 (Right Side):
Slip 1 knitwise, k1, yo,
k2tog, k1, p2
last st, k.

On this row, slip your first stitch knitwise, then you begin the pattern repeat. Everything inside * * gets worked over and over until you have one stitch at the end which you knit. This means that you will k1, yo, k2tog, k1, p2 and then go back to the first k1 after the * and do it all over again. You’ll do 71 sets or repeats of these stitches and should have one stitch left which you will knit.

Placing stitch markers after each repeat can help make sure you’re staying on pattern and keeping your stitch count right. That would be a lot of markers so you might choose a certain number of repeats (number of repeats x 6) and place a marker after X number of stitches and use fewer markers but still have a more manageable number of stitches to count as you go along. Finishing a row of 200+ stitches and finding out on the next row that something wasn’t right isn’t fun. Check at the end of each row to be sure before you go on.

HTH you get started. If anything I said is unclear please ask for help again and ask about anything else that is unclear as you go along. By the time you’re finished you’ll be well on your way to reading and interpreting any pattern you encounter.

Yes, this can be done. If you’re new to patterns and figuring multiples you might prefer to stick with the pattern as written. If you choose to adjust it for a different size, ask for help and someone will help.

The easiest way to adjust would be to make the ruffle wider by working more rows or narrower by working fewer. If you make it wider then you’ll have to consider that you may well need more yarn.

Should you choose to make the cast on more stitches you would add them in multiples of 6. That is, cast on the 428 stitches then 6, 12, 18… more. I’m not good enough with the math to be sure it wouldn’t interfere with the lace pattern repeats.

Wow thanks for the detailed explanation, that gave me a much clearer picture on what I am to be doing. I had thought it wanted me to go back and forth short ways like from side to side not length wise but now I see it wants me to do length. I am actually doing this pattern with the With Love Autumn colored yarn which is about 60 yards shorter so I imagine I am going to need more yarn but my mom loved the color so I wanted to do this for her. I really appreciate the time taken to help me get this right! Thanks everyone! If I have any more questions I will post them here :slight_smile:

You’re welcome for any help I was able to give. I am a knitter only because of the help I got here at KH. When I can I like to try to help another new knitter.

This is a pretty simple pattern. Simple of course is a relative term. I don’t know how much knitting you’ve done or how familiar you are with increases and decreases so it may seem very complicated to you.

Enjoy your knitting. Now I want to see what your yarn is like so I’ve gotta Google.

So I have all my cast ons and now I have a question, is my very first stitch going to be a slip 1 knitwise? or do I need to do 1 knit first? It just seems like it is leaving some loose thread slipping it on the first one.

Nevermind, you already answered my question, thanks! lol

I would knit the first stitch of the first row, I don’t know if that’s considered “right” or not.

After the cast on, knit the first row across, pull out the slip knot as directed and then begin row 1 of the ruffle pattern. That first row of the ruffle pattern begins with a slip 1 so that’s the way to start.

I’ll help with this part of your question!!!

(Second, this phrase is very confusing to me “repeat from to across row to last st”)

This means that you repeat what’s in between the * and * all the way across the row until there’s 1 stitch on the right hand needle. Then you either k or p (whatever the instructions say) that last stitch.

hth, knitcindy