Beginner Knitter :) Help with (k2 yo)

Hi! This is my first time using a knitting pattern and I am having trouble following the steps! My next instruction is (k2 yo). I believe this means I should knit 2 and yarn over within one stitch (as the step is listed in parentheses). Is that correct? How do I achieve this? I’ve tried finding videos to help, but I can’t find this specific instruction so I’m not sure if the ones I’ve found apply to my pattern. The full instructions are below, for reference. Thanks for the help!

Row 1 and all WS rows: Purl.
Row 2 (RS): Ssk, yo, k2, k2tog, yo, k1, yo, sk2p, yo, k1, yo, ssk, k2, yo, sk2p, yo, k2, k2tog, yo, k1, yo, sk2p, yo, k1, yo, ssk, k2, yo, k2tog.
Row 4: Ssk, k3, yo, k2tog, yo, k3, yo, ssk, yo, k3, sk2p, k3, yo, k2tog, yo, k3, yo, ssk, yo, k3, k2tog.
Row 6: Ssk, (k2, yo) twice, k2tog, k1, ssk, (yo, k2) twice, sk2p, (k2, yo) twice, k2tog, k1, ssk, (yo, k2) twice, k2tog.
Row 8: Ssk, k1, yo, k3, yo, k2tog, k1, ssk, yo, k3, yo, k1, sk2p, k1, yo, k3, yo, k2tog, k1, ssk, yo, k3, yo, k1, k2tog. Rep Rows 1-8 for Lace st.

Welcome to KH!
Usually patterns will say “(yo, K2) into the same stitch” or something similar if they want you to perform some operation into a stitch. Since your pattern says (yo, K2) twice, that indicates that you repeat the direction in parentheses. So yo, k2, yo, k2 for example.

Kudos to you for starting with a pattern with so many instructions! Your yarn overs will make a hole. In this pattern, just knit your 2 stitches and then wrap your yarn around the needle for the yarn over. Good luck with this project- I would love to see your results :slight_smile:

1 Like

Thank you both so much! I feel a little silly that I was overthinking this so much :woman_facepalming: Really appreciate your help! :heart:

Not at all silly, in fact, a good question to ask. Enjoy finishing the project and post a photo when you finish. We love to see all projects!