Beginner Knitter: Dropped Stitch in Limbo

Hi All,

I tried to find a solution to my problem online, but I think I did something really funny and… yeah. Hopefully my mistake can illicit a chuckle and some help!

A bit of background. I did some basic knitting 6 or 7 years ago, but I really haven’t touched it since. I started doing Amigurumi last year and really liked it, and then decided to get into knitting again for some mitten Christmas presents.

I had a friend that helped me re-learn and then I started on my pattern.
Its a super basic pattern. You’d think it to be fool proof!:rofl:
Well actually I was doing a really great job until I got part way through, tried it on and realized it was way too tight! I used different wool than recommended and the gauge is different I think.

Both me and my friend who taught me decided it would be best to just rip it out to the cuff, add 6 stitches (enough to keep the pattern the same) and then keep going.

So I did that. Well I tried. Lesson learned, put in some sort of safety yarn or marker so you can find all your stitches again when you rip it out!!
I should have had 48, increase to 54, but I had 44. I was tired (Why did I chose to do that then!), but I just shrugged, increased to 54 and went on my merry way. I’m now decently through the pattern again and came to my senses that I should probably find those 4 dropped stitches. So I did and they are all neatly pinned up and awaiting fixing.

From what I read about fixing dropped stitches is that you can use a crochet hook to loop it back up to where you are at and keep working. My problem is that I have all the proper number of stitches on the needle now because of me just doing increases to get it back to normal.

Is there a way I can fix these dropped stitches of mine? I don’t want my work to unravel!
Even if it is a messy fix that is fine.

Oh knitting gurus I need your help!

P.S. Adding the 6 stitches totally helped. It fits really nicely now.

Welcome to KnittingHelp!
You can use a crochet hook to pick up a dropped stitch and ladder it back up if it’s a few rows down but if it’s many rows down that won’t work.
The best thing may be to thread about 6-8 inches of yarn onto a tapestry needle and run it through the dropped stitch and to the inside of the sweater. Then pass the other end of the strand to the back through an adjoining stitch and weave in the two ends. That’ll hold the stitch in place and be essentially invisible.