Beginner in need of help!

hello,
I am currently knitting a cardigan for our little bundle arriving in September. I am very new to knitting and am delighted with the progress so far, but I’m having a problem with the back.
The directions for the row I am working are;
“k2, p2tog, work to last 4 stitches, k2, p2tog”

My problem is, I’ve an odd number of stitches in the row (which is correct), and only one stitch left before reaching the last 4 stitches. I should be on p2tog but only 1 stitch left! What should I do?
Thanks in advance!

Welcome to the forum and congrats on the coming birth!
You can probably purl that last stitch, then k2, p2tog. One stitch more or less (depending on the pattern stitch) isn’t likely to make a big difference.
Can you give us a link to the pattern or a pattern name? Where are you on the back? What are the directions for the next row?

Thanks so much!!
Here’s the link to the pattern…
https://docs.google.com/file/d/0BxG5-ywxwbFkRzdhNm1SUExQdE0/edit
I am on the back piece (Shaping raglan armholes) and have just finished the rows casting off 3 stitches on each.
I see I made a little error in my previous post. The final two instructions should be ‘p2tog, k2’, not the other way around! Whoops!
Thanks again for the help
Caitriona

You’re knitting two, purling two together to decrease, knitting across to the last four stitches, purling two together and knitting two. It shouldn’t matter whether you have an even or odd number of stitches, because you’re not purling two together all the way across, only where you have your decreases.

Congratulations on your little reason to knit :slight_smile:

Hi Becky,
Thanks so much!
Oh!! So I’m only to p2tog twice for the whole row??? Ahhhh… I assumed that “k2, p2tog, work to last 4 stitches” mean I had to k2, p2tog all the way across!!
Ah that makes a lot more sense!! Thanks a million!!