Beginner Help!

Hi All,

I’m a beginner working on my first knitting project - a stripey scarf. I’ve managed to cast on with Colour 1 and knit the stripe to my desired width. I’ve also managed to add on Colour 2 and knit to the desired width. This results in a line of the new colour that has mixed with the first stripe, on the back of the scarf.

Ready to go back to Colour 1 and continue the pattern but doing so I get the line / mixed row on the back of the scarf appearing on the front instead!

How do I knit so that all these bits only appear on one side?

If anyone could help it would be much appreciated!!

Thanks,
Aruje

I’m guessing you’re working in garter stitch (every row knit)? If so, to only have the dotted colour line appear on one side, I think you’d need to change colour on the same side each time. Attaching a marker to the side you want to be the front would help, here. I also made a stripy garter stitch scarf for a first project and had the same thing happen - I like it as a design feature though!

2 Likes

I think it might be a garter stitch yes. I’ve tried what you suggested and it worked, thanks a million! Moving on to figuring out how to weave in ends neatly now!

2 Likes

Glad I could help :blush:

1 Like

Two sites that are great for weaving in ends: www.purlsoho.com and www.masondixonknitting.com.

As mentioned, the key is to changing colors in garter stitch is to note which side is the “right” or “front” side, And always change on that side.