Beginner - Floppy brim hat instruction questions

I am a beginner knitter and have knitted some hats, scraves, coin purses, etc. I am now attempting to knit a floppy brim hat. I am starting with the brim of the hat and I do not understand some of the instructions, please kindly explain.

K22, yf, sl 1, yb, turn and leave 17 sts.
I understand that I have to knit 22 stitches, after that I’m not sure what the rest means, especially the “turn and leave 17 sts.” What is the reason for turning and leaving 17 sts? What is going to happen if I have stitches that are not knitted? I am a beginner knitter and have knitted hats, scraves, coin purse, etc.

Thank you in advance for any assistance that you can give me.

• CWB :rollseyes:

Technically speaking, you are going to be making short rows by knitting only partial rows. This is why you will turn your work back around without completing all of the stitches. The yf, sl 1, yb part means to bring your working yarn to the front of your work (yf), slip 1 stitch from the left needle to the right needle (sl 1), and then return your working yarn to the back of your work (yb).

Short rows sound intimidating and confusing at first, but usually if you just follow the directions and trust the pattern it will all come out in the end.

Ask if you need more help or further clarification.

Good luck!! :XX: